Are INFPs religious or atheists?

Politics, sociology, philosophy, morals, ethics
BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ
Gender (M or F): M

Are INFPs religious or atheists?

Post by BabyDragon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:27 am

This is quite an interesting question to me because NTs generally lean towards atheism and Ns are rarely religious. The stereotype would make you think NFs are very spiritual or religious but my ENFP friend is a hardcore atheist like me which is so refreshing. An atheist feeler, that means he's not a good person because of God, karma or something, but because he's a good person.

Pam
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): F

Re: Are INFPs religious of atheists?

Post by Pam » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:18 pm

Well, I'm not exactly religious but I'm a deist. I believe this world is too beautiful to not be created by something/someone higher.
Site about the istp personality: http://www.istps.com/

Djinn
MBTI type: INXX
Gender (M or F): X

Post by Djinn » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:01 pm

I believe in the possibility of supernatural phenomenon/entities.

An interesting idea (the concept of being 'good' being independent from a religious context). What are your thoughts? What makes a person 'good'?

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Fri Oct 29, 2010 7:30 pm

Djinn wrote:What are your thoughts? What makes a person 'good'?
I just pay attention to what people do instead of what they say.

I mean I don't have really big standards for calling someone a good person. Just don't take more than you give and you're ok by me.

But I believe some people are wired to be good. They get a dopamine rush when they help someone. I think most of those people are xNFP.

sometimesclever

Post by sometimesclever » Tue Nov 09, 2010 7:26 am

admin wrote: I just pay attention to what people do instead of what they say.
As a humanities major - particularly as an English major - I've always heard both sides of this coin. On the one hand, language is a very powerful tool that makes people do stuff (and you can consider that in relation to world religions, if you like). But on the other hand, time and time again, it's been proven that words are so easy to say, and that you shouldn't [...] promise me the world; all that I've already heard. This time around for me baby, actions speak louder than wooooOoOords.*

I guess it's on a subject-by-subject basis.

Anyway, I consider myself to be Agnostic, even though I was raised with heavy Christian influences. My, uh..."fall from grace" was probably a slow one, but the moment I really self-actualized that I wasn't a Christian anymore was actually after reading Alice Sebold's "The Lovely Bones". In it, she describes a Heaven that is so much more appealing to me than the one in the Bible. And, after that, I noticed more and more discrepancies between Biblical teachings and my life. I still support the overall arch of being good, and not killing your neighbor/stealing their property, but the finer details of Christianity and I don't mesh.

I try not to hold anything against Christians though, despite the fact that my lifestyle would potentially make me unwelcome in most factions of their religion. If I were to gravitate towards any already established religious faith, it would probably be Buddhism.

Namaste, ha ha :)

*Sound sorta familiar? I'm quoting the lyrics to Robin S.' "Show Me Love". It's a great work out song :B

snowwhisper

Re: Are INFPs religious or atheists?

Post by snowwhisper » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:26 pm

Spirituality has always been very important to me. I've been religious in the past, but decided organized religion doesn't make sense to me. I believe in a creator, but I often wonder if we are the creator(s)? I wonder if there is a collective consciousness? I have a lot for questions/ideas, but nothing that I can say I believe in with certainty. I do spend a lot of time thinking about spirituality and working on creating my own reality to the best of my ability; and I enjoy talking to others about religion (as long as things don't get too heated!)

Pam

Post by Pam » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:54 am

sometimesclever wrote: *Sound sorta familiar? I'm quoting the lyrics to Robin S.' "Show Me Love". It's a great work out song :B
I'm just listening to it on youtube. I love these classics.
Site about the istp personality: http://www.istps.com/

October

Post by October » Sat Nov 27, 2010 10:39 pm

Alright, that's a big one...

I've been procrastinating answering this thread... (I think I might read what I write here in five years and cringe...)

I am agnostic. Sometimes leaning towards theism. Other times leaning towards atheism. :|

What I know for sure, though, is that I'm anti-clerical. I think the world would be a better place without churches.

I used to be much more idealistic/theistic when I was younger. (Not that I'm too old or knowledgeable now :) ).
Then I had actually met some "devoted Christians"... and I saw a lot of hypocrisy, arrogance, intolerance, thick-sculledness, bigotry, gay-bashing, conceit, etc, etc. And I couldn't avoid seeing flaw in religion. In all Abrahamic religions, for that matter. The only religion(if it is one) I have no problem with, and, moreover, even sometimes gravitate towards, is Buddhism. So, I can second sometimesclever on that. :)

But I'm digressing.

I'd put the question not "Are INFPs religious or atheists?", but rather "Are INFPs theists or atheists?". A belief in god per se does not have to do anything with religion. Not necessarily. I'm certainly non-religious, but I take pains to figure out whether I do believe in god/a higher power/divine being. You've no idea ho much time I spend thinking about it these days.

Even if there is a god, I don't believe it'd be the omnipotent and all-loving ooor sometimes cruel and despotic one from the Christian concept, that's just absurd to me... If there is a god he is either omnipresent or all-loving... The old testament is clearly a mythology, why do some people even take it literally? :? To me believing it word-to-word looks like a pernicious form of idiocy.
And don't we have any power over our lives whatsoever? Really? Than what's the point of living them? :? But I could write too much on the subject, so, I'll just stop here. Besides, I do not feel too good about judging Christians... Even though I know they wouldn't find my approach to life acceptable... I know there are some genuinely good people among the religious, too, but they're quite rare...

I used to hmm, well, believe in god, I guess. Yes. I remember believing in god. It was a vague belief, not the religious one, not at all. I'd liken it more to a mystical experience. In which I saw all the good in all the human beings, like little flickers of light, in each one, that connect us all on some level and merge into something bigger, something all-pervading and benevolent. Iused to pray a lot, too. Not in an Orthodox way, again. But spontaneously. In a strange, wayword manner.
These days, it happens, I try to pray but don't seem to quite catch it. I still often feel like praying, but I'm too anxiety ridden, I guess. I can't stop my mind from talking. :\ And yet, I think some faith would do me good. I used to believe in innate human goodness, too. It always seemed to come through for me until last year... Anyhow, I'd like to restore it, too. It's hard to live not believing in something.

This post must come out very disjointed and inchoate. :( I apologize for that. hope it makes some sense to someone.
When I let go of what I am, I become what i might be.

boredToDeath

Post by boredToDeath » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:57 pm

October wrote:This post must come out very disjointed and inchoate. :( I apologize for that. hope it makes some sense to someone.
It perfectly made sense :) don't worry.

I do have a strong belief in God. I just can't believe that everything in this world has been created from nothing. It's too beautiful and complex to be. Like Pam said:
Pam wrote:I believe this world is too beautiful to not be created by something/someone higher.
I'm not really religious though. I do come short in fulfilling my 'duties' to my religion. I'm trying to fix that part now.
Life is a comedy to those who think and a tragedy to those who feel.

EchoAnswer

Post by EchoAnswer » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:47 am

I'm spiritual/religious/theist. I don't know where you get the idea that NTs & even all Ns are usually atheist. Most Ns I know are not atheist at all, and I know many who are quite religious. I'd say like attracts like, which may be why you meet many who are atheist.

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:26 am

EchoAnswer wrote:I'm spiritual/religious/theist. I don't know where you get the idea that NTs & even all Ns are usually atheist. Most Ns I know are not atheist at all, and I know many who are quite religious. I'd say like attracts like, which may be why you meet many who are atheist.
Maybe. This is what shaped my view anyway:

- 90% of Ns I've met in real life so far weren't religious (some were as kids)
- INTP central where I'm registered at is a nest of atheists
- INTJ forum also
- ENTJ forum also
- INTP forum (yes there are 2) is also mostly atheist

Is this just a coincidence?

Phil
MBTI type: ISFP

Post by Phil » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:40 am

I believe the circumstances that lead to someone's religious beliefs are too complicated to be correlated with MBTI types.

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:56 am

I'll dig up some statistics later to prove you wrong :P

For example ESFJs are DEFINITELY more likely to be religious than ENTJs.

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Tue Nov 30, 2010 10:47 am

I found them:

ENTJ - In national sample, ranked 2nd highest in "No" and 4th highest in "Not sure" re: "Belief in higher spiritual power."
from http://www.discoveryourpersonality.com/entj.html

INTJ - In national sample, ranked highest in saying "No" to belief in a higher spiritual power.
from http://www.discoveryourpersonality.com/intj.html

INTP - In national sample, ranked 3rd highest in saying "No" and 2nd highest in "Not sure" to belief in a higher spiritual power.
from http://www.discoveryourpersonality.com/intp.html

While:

ESFJ - In national sample, ranked 2nd highest in "Belief in a higher spiritual power."
from http://www.discoveryourpersonality.com/esfj.html

fredrik
MBTI type: IDNO
Gender (M or F): m

Post by fredrik » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:40 pm

people so often take statistics so personally.
percentages of people of this or that denomination displaying this or
that behavior should not really be considered considerably convincing
on an individual level.
ehm.

to add some actual content: i habitually avoid discussions about deities.
they always turn into ad hominem battles and sad faces. to avoid turning
this preface into something very ironic i will only say that i, of course,
do not mind at all what people believe. the only thing i ask is that people,
may it be evangelics, atheists, pantheists w/e display an apatheistic attitude.
or well, i don't care what introverted attitude people have. i just want their
extroverted attitude to be apatheistic. it would be a lot cozier.

also: hi.
my name is fredrik.
pleased to meet you.

*takes a seat in the corner*