Any vegetarians?

Politics, sociology, philosophy, morals, ethics
Pam
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): F

Any vegetarians?

Post by Pam » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:44 pm

I always thought vegetarians would mostly be NF, maybe even INFx but I'm not one. As long as I don't see the actual slaughtering I'm ok with eating meat. This may be hypocritical cause I don't believe I could kill a bigger animal than a housefly but like most people I don't think about meat in that way. To me it's just something tasty you buy at the local supermarket.

I'll copy this post from another discussion that has some good points:
I'm sure plants can feel pain too. If they didn't feel it then a plant wouldn't try to move away from a strong source of heat or something toxic. This oak in front of my building wouldn't move 45 degrees away from the building just to get more sunshine.

I respect the choice of vegetarians but I don't like it when they go out and start shouting and whistling, MURDER ON YOUR PLATE, MURDER ON YOUR PLATE. Lots of these vegetarians and vegans get so into the idea that they start to value animal life more than humans. There are thousands of children dying in Africa every day, but animal freedom is suddenly a bigger priority.
Site about the istp personality: http://www.istps.com/

Phil
MBTI type: ISFP
Gender (M or F): M

Re: Any vegetarians?

Post by Phil » Fri Dec 17, 2010 1:23 am

I agree with that statement for the most part. Animals aren't really much more than a food source to me, I don't revel it or anything like that. Don't really approve of hunting for "sport". I have no delusions of my importance in the world, and realize that if I never had a single bite of meat in my life that the same number of animals would be dead. I am very much an individual.

BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ

Post by BabyDragon » Fri Dec 17, 2010 10:41 am

The other day I saw a chick on TV feeding her dog with vegan food :S

She'd probably give apples to a lion.

I'm not very fond of mass production factories that torture animals but if they live in humane conditions and are killed as fast and painless as possible I'm ok with eating meat. Meat is delicious. And most domestic animals wouldn't even survive without humans anyway.

sometimesclever

Post by sometimesclever » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:55 pm

I'm the same way; I typically can't kill any creature without feeling remorseful for its death. Even if I had to kill an animal out in the wild to eat it, I would probably have some kind of moment of silence to mourn ending its existence so that I could carry on. But, on the flip side, I'd go out and order a hamburger without a second thought. Mmm, chicken's even better.

And I LOVE spam. You can't get any more anti-vegetarian than spam.

Spam, eggs, and rice. Win, win, and win.

But generally speaking, I lean towards vegetarianism simply because meat is so expensive, and vegetarian dishes are fairly tasty, so I don't feel like I'm at a loss. But, I do have a leather jacket that I never wear anywhere because I'm afraid someone will run up and splash me with paint.

Oh, and get this - I used to work at a place well established for its conservation of wildlife...and the uniform explicitly demanded a leather belt and leather topped shoes, for safety, they said. Talk about hypocritical.

boredToDeath

Post by boredToDeath » Sun Jan 16, 2011 8:28 pm

sometimesclever wrote:I used to work at a place well established for its conservation of wildlife...and the uniform explicitly demanded a leather belt and leather topped shoes, for safety, they said. Talk about hypocritical.
That shocked me :shock:

I'm not a vegetarian, but I'm not a fan of meat either. But meat is proteins, and my body needs it, and as long as I didn't torture the animal and kill it painlessly and quickly, then I can accept it. But I still feel some sadness for the animal.
Life is a comedy to those who think and a tragedy to those who feel.

AcutelyAware

Post by AcutelyAware » Thu Jan 20, 2011 6:04 pm

I was a vegetarian for 5 years but have had health problems due to this diet. The past two years I have been eating fish which would make me a pescetarian. I still don't like the idea of contributing to the suffering of any creature but make less of a connection between non-mammals.

BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ

Post by BabyDragon » Thu Jan 20, 2011 10:07 pm

Hi AcutelyAware. Welcome to our forum.

I'm curious, what kind of health problems did you have because of being vegetarian?

AcutelyAware

Post by AcutelyAware » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:22 am

Hi BabyDragon! It's good to be here! In response to your q...I ate a lot of soy when I became vegetarian and within a couple months was diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I won't get started on the soy controversy as there is plenty of info online if anyone is curious as to why it may be harmful. I also developed severe anemia even after consulting a dietician. The doctors were puzzled but I don't seem to retain a lot of proteins or omega through flax or vegetarian friendly protein sources. I'm in no way knocking being veggie though! All our bodies respond differenly and have individualized nutritional needs. I will be sticking with the Mediterranean diet though!

boowee

Post by boowee » Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:46 pm

I'm vegetarian. My best friend is INTJ and also vegetarian. I've never thought about type-approach to vegetarianism before, but it's an interesting question.

I would ask what is involved in vegetarianism. Here's what I think, as a vegetarian:
* animal welfare
* environmental preservation and sustainability
* morality/ethics of taking a life when it's not strictly necessary
* personal health

I know that my INTJ and I approach vegetarianism from very different places. So I'm going to write about why I'm a vegetarian and how that reason has changed over time, and maybe that will help some intuitive person identify which elements of vegetarianism have affinities with which personality types.

When I started as a vegetarian, I did a 3-days-a-week thing where I simply limited my meat intake. One one level, this had to do with personal health. I'm from the USA, and the American diet favors meat to the extent that many families eat meat for every meal. A balanced diet, even for meat-eaters, is supposed to be 1-2 servings per day. Since portions in the USA are very large, limiting meat intake to a few times per week was helping me focus on eating more fruits and vegetables and having a healthier, more balanced diet.

Then I met my INTJ. He taught me about the environmental aspect of vegetarianism. He had tons of statistics to the tune of how the amount of corn used to feed cows for a few people in the USA could feed an entire country in Africa and stuff like that, so that being vegetarian isn't just about saving poultry; it's about ending world hunger. When I brought up that the increased demand for soy has people in Brazil slashing and burning the rainforest to plant more crops, he said, "so buy local." So I do, and I'm lucky that I have that option.

With his help, I learned more and more types of foods to eat that did not involve meat. I actually started to eat a much more varied and interesting diet than when I was a meat-eater. At some point I realized that I had only been eating meat once per month. It got to a point where I would eat a hamburger at a restaurant and think, "this vegetarian dish from this other restaurant tastes much better than this." I started thinking about how if I was going to kill something just to eat its flesh, then it better be damn delicious. It was depressing to think that I killed something just to have a not-even-that-good hamburger, especially when navrattan korma or peanut curry taste so much better. I gave myself a rule: I would only eat meat that was raised in a way that would not gross me out or depress me if I saw it before it was processed (legs and beat cut off to fatten in a tiny cage; ears and tails chewed off by other pigs; nothing you haven't heard before). I still believed that eating meat was a natural and normal part of the food chain.

I still do believe that. But one day I was on a picturesque farm in Maine, and they had lambs running around and playing and eating grass on large, open fields. It was absolutely idyllic. The farmers said, "Yesterday we slaughtered a lamb. Today we are eating lamb burgers." I thought: awesome. I ate the lamb burger. It was fresh. It was delicious. It could not have been raised better.

I still prefer navrattan korma. And so I realized that just because I can eat meat, and even if it is natural, I also don't have to eat meat. I am privileged enough to have that choice. So I bucked up and made it. I know that not everyone responds to a vegetarian diet in the same way, or they have food allergies that make it nigh impossible (gluten and soy and nut allergies? OK, I understand!).

In the end, what I'm trying to say is:
* everyone has a different reason for being vegetarian
* those reasons can be based on Thinking or Feeling, and when it comes to health, even Sensing

In the end, I think that people who are vegetarian are simply people who like to think about HOW and WHY and who CARE about things or people or policy-- for one reason or another.

For those of you who are scared of being attacked by paint or chewed out by vegetarians/vegans, I humbly ask you to acknowledge that there are extremists on both sides of the divide, and that frequently the most vocal and aggressive of a group do not accurately represent all members of that group. For example, most vegetarians and vegans I know --and I know a lot!-- do not think positively of PETA.

Morris
MBTI type: psychometric
Gender (M or F): m

Post by Morris » Sat Jan 14, 2012 2:56 pm

I've been an ovo-lacto vegetarian for about 20 years or so now. I guess I've always been a fairly healthy vegetarian but I'm *really* struggling right now with protein. I'm trying to get more protein than I ever have since I've started lifting/strength training, and I also need to follow a low-sodium diet, which pretty much rules out all the processed/frozen Moringstar farms/Boca stuff. I love tofu and tempeh but so far finding a marinade or sauce that's not loaded with sodium is seeming impossible. Looking back through my diary I've averaged about 30 grams/day and that's been mostly the frozen processed stuff. gah!

jenbisca
MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): f

Post by jenbisca » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:19 am

vegetarian for 23 years, but I don't preach it and often hide it. I let my 4 kids decide their own diets and never push vegetarianism on them. My 19 year old was a vegetarian for a couple of years, my 10 year old has been for 4 years. My 13 year old and 3 year old are not vegetarian.

Nihon
MBTI type: Intj

Post by Nihon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:39 pm

I really want to be because all the documentaries on how people treat the animals and on what they put into our food just disgusts me. Unfortunately, I like meat too much to give it up and I don't like many vegetables or fruits so I'd probably starve if I were. :'( I try to get local, organic food as often as I can, though.

IvoryLatte

Post by IvoryLatte » Sat Nov 16, 2013 6:28 pm

Pescetarian. I used to be vegetarian for 2 years, but then I visited Japan and it's nearly impossible to not eat some kind of meat over there, because fish is such a major part of the diet. So, I started eating fish and I really enjoy it. I've been pescetarian for 1 year now. :)

Samjose17
MBTI type: estj
Gender (M or F): f

Post by Samjose17 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 4:34 pm

I'm a proud vegetarian.
Josepha

michellegontijo

Post by michellegontijo » Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:51 pm

Hello, everyone! :)

I've been vegetarian for over 4 months. I guess I should share my experiences and my thoughts on the topic.

Since my early teenage years I've struggled with acne. That used to make me really insecure — sometimes it still does — and because of that I used to spend a lot of time on the internet researching for different ways to cure my acne. One day I came across the vegan community on Youtube, I was pretty open-minded about the topic so I started to learn a bit more about vegetarianism and veganism. Of course, there were many people talking nonsense but I was able to find really good videos. Listen to people talk about their experiences — the pros and cons, the highs and lows — made me motivated to try to go vegetarian. Cutting meat out of my diet wasn't difficult at all, I don't miss it. I did have a hard time though when I decided to increase my intake of processed food as well. I really love chocolate but my body felt better without it. After making this decision I thought it was about time to change more things so I started to work out once a week, to drink more water and to get more sleep. I was going through a tough time and these small changes made a huge difference in my life within weeks. I find out then that being vegetarian/vegan has to do with a life style rather than a diet.
Although I didn't changed my life style for ecological reasons, it feels good not contributing for animal suffering. I started to open my eyes to this issue and I'm happy to be more aware of it now.
I want to go vegan in the future, but right now I know it's not for me. I believe people should educate themselves, open their minds to different perspectives and do what they think it's right for their bodies and minds.

So... that's it!
(Sorry if there are many mistakes on my text, I'm not a native speaker of English)
Mish