The Fear of Emotion

Politics, sociology, philosophy, morals, ethics
Entity
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): M

The Fear of Emotion

Post by Entity » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:08 am

Why is it that in most aspects of society we are told to compress emotions, to hide them within ourselves for fear of being known as "weak", "whiny", or other incorrect things? As a male, if you are sensitive, or show some hint of emotion, people dub you homosexual?=! I have nothing against the gays, but why is it that more sensitive, Idealist men are put down as weak bitches who aren't real men? And this isn't just with men. I don't know too much about this, but I can say for sure that women who are prone to emotion and sadness are seen as "bitchy". This really pisses me off. I hate how people will criticize Feeler-ish men and call them homosexual despite the truth. And even if he is gay, then he'll be made fun of for that! I know that I, myself am not gay, but as an INFP I am conditioned to be seen as such? So because I like things that are cute or beautiful, I am a homosexual? Where's the reason in that? Human society sees emotion as weakness and we are pressured to hide it all, to never make mention of inner turmoil. Why is that? Why is it that emotion, the tool humans use to express themselves, is dulled in the facade of strength? We all know that bottling in our feelings only makes things worse, so it is completely trivial that expression is suppressed.

Entity

Re: The Fear of Emotion

Post by Entity » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:14 am

This brings me to some questions. Why is the flower inherently feminine? Why is there a plant that's for women, and what's the male plant? A cactus or something? I want a plant, too. Also, why is pink the feminine color? One hundred or so years ago, blue was for baby girls and pink for males. This confuses me.
"A penny saved is a penny you keep." -Me

potatotoro
Gender (M or F): F

Post by potatotoro » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:18 pm

google it.

potatotoro

Post by potatotoro » Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:25 pm

i thought what you were saying was interesting so i googled it, this is a interesting article.even talks about myers briggs.
http://www.gestaltreality.com/2013/02/0 ... -creation/

Entity

Post by Entity » Sat Aug 01, 2015 10:58 pm

That article was eye-opening. I had never thought of masculine and feminine as coinciding forces like light and dark, more so as a series of traits. Although I have to disagree with Sensing being feminine and Intuition masculine. I see the most masculine and feminine types as ESTJ vs. INFP, because ESTJs are deeply rooted in tradition and perhaps overfond of their trucks/plowing/motorcycles/sensor activities, and because INFPs are deeply rooted in art, love, and/or writing, and are after all Idealists. ISFPs are Artisans, and as such have some major degree of venturesomeness and Sensing within themselves, which are traits exalted by Western Culture. In summary, that article was amazing. Thank you.

potatotoro

Post by potatotoro » Sun Aug 02, 2015 8:18 pm

thank google.lol
as far as infp being the most feminine because they are deeply rooted in love/poetry goes, i think femininity has more of a sensible neutering love then a fiery romantic/poetic kinda love.but you could be right about estj being more masculine.
but i'm glad you liked the article :)

Entity

Post by Entity » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:26 am

Also, I love George Carlin, the man's hilarious, so the quote was nice. :)

potatotoro

Post by potatotoro » Tue Aug 04, 2015 12:19 am

which quote?

Entity

Post by Entity » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:54 am

I can't remember, but I saw one in the article somewhere. I'll search.

Entity

Post by Entity » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:57 am

Here it is! "Trying to be happy by accumulating possessions is like trying to satisfy hunger by taping sandwiches all over your body". Although I haven't heard it before, so it might be a fake.

potatotoro

Post by potatotoro » Tue Aug 04, 2015 1:42 pm

that is a nice quote :) never heard of that guy before though.

BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ

Post by BabyDragon » Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:16 pm

yeah, pretty much true. Although money does increase happiness up to a certain point. If you don't have basic stuff like a house or internet or electricity, money can make you happier by improving the conditions of your life

but there is no difference in happiness between having $100.000 in the bank and having 110.000

meanwhile that 10.000 to a poor person can be life changing

chairmanmeow
Gender (M or F): m

Post by chairmanmeow » Fri Aug 26, 2016 5:01 pm

I temper feeling with conviction with confidence. Wow thats a beautiful thing, I haz a feelz. Disrespect me I can and will break your head and enjoy it if you try to make a victim of me. lol I think the convictions most INFPs have has us always ready to smite with the full force of our frustrations people truly worth the darkness we inevitably accumulate. The older I get the less I find it truly matters, the more I do me authentically the more respect I get not less, just be willing to stand up for yourself, your worth believing in.