Introvert - extrovert

Non-MBTI psychology topics, mental disorders, human nature...
BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ
Gender (M or F): M

Introvert - extrovert

Post by BabyDragon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:32 pm

This is the only dichotomy that has ever confused me. Sure it's easy to see a difference in extroversion between an ESFJ and an INTP, but when you compare a shy ENTP person with a confident ISTP the ISTP can seem more extroverted than the actual extrovert in the comparison.

How do you know that you're not just a shy extrovert?

What makes the I-E divide more difficult to figure out is that Fs are more people oriented than Ts.

Phil
MBTI type: ISFP

Re: Introvert - extrovert

Post by Phil » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:41 pm

Apparently it's by how you "recharge your batteries". Introverts feel drained when they're around people for too long, extroverts do not - or at least their threshold is much higher.

Faby
MBTI type: INFP

Post by Faby » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:50 pm

I don't like the extended presence of other human beings in my vicinity. Including friends and family.

There. =D

Phil
MBTI type: ISFP

Post by Phil » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:01 pm

I imagine Snape writing all of your posts.

Faby

Post by Faby » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:21 pm

You are now reading this in the deep voice of Alan Rickman.

ambi
MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): f

Post by ambi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:15 pm

:lol:

if ever got married i would need a nearby cave to escape electrocution from the boom-booms

Nomorenames
MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): u

Post by Nomorenames » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:51 pm

The vernacular use of introvert and extrovert differ from the definitions in MBTI which are somewhat modified from what Jung wrote.

Also, mbti forums make me facepalm when I read things like "ENFPs are introverted extroverts" or some variation on that [facepalm emoticon right here]. Introverts and "extroverted behavior" aren't mutually exclusive and vice versa. Studies have shown differences in the brain which point to differing thresholds for the acceptance of stimuli.

Here's an even more interesting study

BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ

Post by BabyDragon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:25 pm

Wow, that link with the faces made me think I'm actually an introvert :-/

But this:
"[This] supports the claim that introverts, or their brains, might be indifferent to people — they can take them or leave them, so to speak. The introvert's brain treats interactions with people the same way it treats encounters with other, non-human information, such as inanimate objects for example," Fishman told LiveScience.
was seriously weird, cause I can't imagine an IxFx person being like that.

Krissie
Gender (M or F): f

Post by Krissie » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:12 am

Yes, I usually am about 50-50 on the E/I scale..right now running about 67% "I", so I'm isolating big time. Why? Because those extroverts stress me out, that's why. Actually, someone had it correct. Though, I love a good time and even friends from high school argued with me and stated that she thought I was an extrovert..she's wrong..I'm very much introverted. That makes sense to me..about getting away from people because they are "energy suckers." So true so true... The older I get the more sensitive I am. Also, the introverts brain is wired "higher", which means it needs less stimulation, which is why we're always isolating and need lots of time by ourselves. Extroverts have to jump out of planes to "feel alive." (cough)

the boss
MBTI type: INFJ

Post by the boss » Sat Jul 02, 2011 7:02 am

It's much more than that. It's an entire shift in perspective. It took me constant, unrelenting hard work to put myself into the shoes of my extrovert boyfriend to crack his code. He is an ESTJ. I finally manged to do it, to put myself into his shoes, and see the world through his eyes, but it's still hard for me to do it now, and impossible for me to fake. I think a defining trait of extroverts is that their self definition comes from outside of themselves, through recognition by others, validation by others, the values they hold are influenced by outside perceptions, their focus on living is external of themselves, rather than a projection of internally held convictions.

In a real sense, what you see is what you get.

An analogy that just popped into my head. As experience, it's the difference between playing a first person shooter (introvert) and a third person shooter (extrovert).

I am still completely unable to put myself into an S mode of thought. If figuring out E was a 300 pound bench press, figuring out S is the 2000 pound one. I don't think I'll ever manage to slip into that mode and be able to communicate my ideas effectively in an S language.

Kevs

Post by Kevs » Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:35 am

All I know is that I'm not extroverted, though there are times when given the correct social structure in which there is mutual agreement on purpose and reason for interaction, and I feel safe enough, I can seem extroverted...it's in free form social interaction where my introversion becomes very evident. And more so my INFPness...it's a swirling mass, not a linear vector of thought and reason....

dodaive
MBTI type: INxP

Post by dodaive » Sun Mar 04, 2012 5:21 pm

I have always had trouble understanding a person with both E and N. We live in a world that is 80% S. They are the ones that determine mainstream body language behaviors. Maintaining the type of S awareness that is necessary to identify and respond to these behaviors tends to tire out an N brain pretty fast, not to mention using one's body language and tone of voice to try and creative communicate some thing meaningful. I have read somewhere that almost 60% of everything communicated between two S types is contained in body language and tone of voice alone. It seems to me for a person with both E and N, life is rough.

Randomosity
Gender (M or F): F

Post by Randomosity » Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:34 am

The way I judge- shy extraverts, while shy, when talked to can talk forever. Confident intraverts can talk, but need to go leave after a while to recharge their batteries.

Nihon
MBTI type: Intj
Gender (M or F): F

Post by Nihon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:21 pm

Introversion just means that you need time to "recharge your batteries" after you've been with people for a certain amount of time. It doesn't mean that you can't enjoy being with people, have a lot of fun, and really be really rambunctious with people you know well, it just means that being around people takes energy from you and that you need to put an effort into it. Whereas, Extroverted types gain energy from talking to people and being around people. Their identity is actually partially based off the group. For a truly Extroverted person, being away from their group too long is bothersome not just because the feel like they're lacking in energy but because they feel like their losing part of their who they are. For ES types especially, sometimes they don't really know who they are when they're not in a group of people because their identity is so externally based and they put no emphasis on, or see no use for, developing an internal identity. Of course, being Introverted can have very negative points as well, such as being more likely to be depressed or forgetting how important is for us to interact with others. Not just for our own health but also to make sure that we're giving back to society on a regular basis.