Any mental disorders INFPs? Social anxiety, depression?

Non-MBTI psychology topics, mental disorders, human nature...
BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ
Gender (M or F): M

Any mental disorders INFPs? Social anxiety, depression?

Post by BabyDragon » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:35 pm

Come on, don't be shy, I know you all have a few mental disorders up your sleeve.

Phil
MBTI type: ISFP

Re: Any mental disorders INFPs? Social anxiety, depression?

Post by Phil » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:03 am

I have "Yomommaitis", which forces me to respond to any serious question with "Yo Momma".

ambi
MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): f

Post by ambi » Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:58 am

did you just say mental?

Faby
MBTI type: INFP

Post by Faby » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:15 pm

I had a really bad case of panic attacks last year, but I got well eventually. And I'm always suffering from a low level of depression.

ambi
MBTI type: infp

Post by ambi » Sat Dec 25, 2010 10:12 pm

boredToDeath

Post by boredToDeath » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:06 am

I have social anxiety, and I'm now in the long hard fight against it...I developed it because of me being a very sensitive person + insensitive bullying at school, and now I can barely walk through crowds because I feel that everybody is laughing at me in their minds. I've went to a psychiatrist for a few months and he put me on prozac, but the medication made me emotionless, so I stopped it. Now I'm slowly improving, and I'm learning to control my fear. I don't really consider it to be a mental disorder, I think it's more of a phobia.

Okay, so anyone else would like to share now? :P

Oh, and I love the pictures, ambi :)
Life is a comedy to those who think and a tragedy to those who feel.

Kiddo
MBTI type: INTP
Gender (M or F): F

Post by Kiddo » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:01 am

Ambi you're like a breath of fresh air!
Proud proprietor of first-kiss insurance.

Krissie

Post by Krissie » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:41 pm

I've suffered from episodes of depression for most of my life and OCD for all of my life (hence the numerous postings).

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:51 pm

Krissie wrote:I've suffered from episodes of depression for most of my life and OCD for all of my life (hence the numerous postings).
If that's the case, just let your OCD run wild! :D

Xander

Post by Xander » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:27 pm

I've discovered that embracing my anxiety enriches who I am as a person. Super anxious all the time and it gets WAYYYYY worse if I'm not drawing, painting or playing sports. Anxiety for absolutely no reason. I'm sitting here right now, alone in the basement by my computer and literally shaking. I look at my anxiety as a gift. They say you can judge the potential of an artistic person by how much anxiety they have.

So, like the young Spartan boy growing up to be a warrior, I've learned to embrace that feeling and LOVE IT! If you feel anxious it means get ur butt to work doing something artistic. Seriously, you'll be brilliant if you do. I used to hate anxiety, but that was because I had NO outlet for creativity or artistic expression. Sports does that too.
Truth is, Anxiety is my gift from God and I'll use up every ounce of it I can get and pour my heart into my work.

I don't believe depression comes directly from a mental inbalance. I believe that anxiety comes from the world telling you that you shouldn't be feeling this way all the time. WTH do they know, they'll never create the astonishing things in life. Anxiety has created our world. If INFP's like me weren't kicking around, nobody would have even thought of making a round wheel to pull a buggy, let alone make a trip to space. So, don't feel self conscious about the fact you're shaking from anxiety and there's no reason for it. There actually is a reason, anxiety is God's way of telling you to get your butt to work Creating things!

If the world was filled with our types, nobody would be diagnosed with a mental disorder because we'd be NORMAL. Just because the squares don't understand you doesn't mean ur effed up. Anxiety is your strength and no need to feel depressed about that!

Kiddo
MBTI type: INTP

Post by Kiddo » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 pm

Wow, Xander you really accepted yourself, that's great. Do you know how rare it is to be in the world but not of it? You are a special person. However, Marcus Aurelius, who walked to his own beat too, hired a servant to follow him wherever he went to whisper, "You are only but a man," in his ear whenever he was complimented by admirers. He was gifted at expressing his thoughts on paper. Xander you are a good infp man but you are still a man only. Keep on going with your true self. You know, Marcus Aurelius could have been an infp, he really had a gift for writing.
Proud proprietor of first-kiss insurance.

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:27 am

Kiddo wrote:Marcus Aurelius, who walked to his own beat too, hired a servant to follow him wherever he went to whisper, "You are only but a man," in his ear whenever he was complimented by admirers.
Haha, that's so awesome :D

And welcome, Xander!

boredToDeath

Post by boredToDeath » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:09 pm

Xander, I just love and admire the way you utilize your anxiety...I wish I could do that :)
And you're totally right about the 'squares', they understand nothing about us introverts, especially INFP's.
Life is a comedy to those who think and a tragedy to those who feel.

hopelenska

Post by hopelenska » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:38 am

I was diagnosed with clinical depression at 11 years old and I also suffer from anxiety. It was triggered by combination of some events in my childhood together with my genes - my family has history of major depression and chronic depression (dysthymia). I have spent plenty of my time and energy going from one to other psychiatrist and changing treatments, hoping they would be a definitive cure for my illness; now only few years later, I'm fairly sure my case is a hopeless one and the pills I take are nothing but palliative. While in a way I'm glad that there exists medications that can help me live a relatively "normal" life, I'm also dead scared of mixing them into my body.

I find it inspiring how Xander sees his own situation. I didn't manage to do the exact same, but I'm happy to say I did overcome the negative weight that my personality carries in a society where most people expect you to be the communicative kind, while they see a introverted, abstract and dreamy personality as an illness and something undesired. This was a source of some suffering when I was younger, but I came to terms with who I am, and I can honestly say that nowadays I comfortably bask in this character, content with all the creativity that introversion, melancholy and being alone have provided for me.

michena
MBTI type: CFG

Post by michena » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:39 am

What does a person do that has severe anxiety and social phobia? I have many physical symptoms. They worsen when I go to places like the grocery store. My vision gets weird and I feel like I can't focus. I have a past history of alcohol problems. I have been sober for about 2 yrs. I don't know what to do anymore though because I haven't ever had a real job, I dropped out of college, and I have tried anti-depressants and they didn't work for me even at high doses. I have also gone to therapy and read an anxiety work book. I feel very hopeless. Can anyone recommend something I could try that might help it. I used to just try and hide my anxiety. It is to the point where if I am out with a friend they notice and ask if I am ok.