The purpose of life.

Non-MBTI psychology topics, mental disorders, human nature...
crow
MBTI type: INFJ
Gender (M or F): M

The purpose of life.

Post by crow » Fri Nov 06, 2015 5:14 am

There is no point in living if you're not alive to do it.

Super Nature Girl
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): F

Re: The purpose of life.

Post by Super Nature Girl » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:27 pm

I agree. However to spark a debate, is being alive a feeling, lifestyle or state of being that can be constantly maintained? If we take risks to feel more alive and shorten our lives in doing so, are we choosing between quantity and quality, between freedom and security?

crow

Post by crow » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:52 pm

I never debate, although I enjoy discussion.
Being alive is exactly that. Not being dead is different.
When the processing layer of the mind is removed, or suspended at will, life becomes truly alive. Immediate. Now. No past or future. Only right now. Just like any wild creature, living by its wits and by its tenacity. A skill few humans ever acquire. More's the pity.

Yes, such a state can be continuously maintained, but like any state, is subject to differing degrees of intensity. I'm most alive in moments of urgency, threat, impending doom, but the rest of the time, I'm still far more alive than anybody else I've ever met. And far faster, in terms of reaction-times.

As for freedom and security: there is nothing either as freeing or as secure as the abandonment of fear, especially the fear of death. Getting to that point is, of course, the subject of mastery, and how one gets there is as mysterious as it is rewarding. At this point, the only interest I have left in people, is to assure them that such states are possible, and to leave it at that.

Super Nature Girl

Post by Super Nature Girl » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:30 am

Yes discussion is the better word.
I agree with your description of being alive versus not dead. It has created several lines of thoughts, so thanks.
(Thoughts such as what would happen if the majority strived to be free instead of successful, what result and future would that bring? What influences does society really have on us and how deep are they, could I really be as free as I have been with some form of consistency? Can someone be that way with someone else, with society? What is it giving up to focus on freedom and truth and is there a large difference between what I admire in others and what I want and respect in myself? Etc!)

How do you truly know you are more alive than others you have met? Is knowing truth but not being able to prove it not a potential crack in the intuitive's armour that eventually leads to doubt? I consider letting go of fears as a path to freedom but i cant say I know how to consistently achieve this. I like to eat certain fears but there always seems a time when I have to consume reality as well. I fluctuate too much between and so the search for freedom seems only possible for a short time and with the sacrifice of security. Opposing forces. How do you get them on the same side? Everything is a balance, but with those two the results seem to lead to a grey choice.

crow

Post by crow » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:39 am

Freedom doesn't mean doing whatever one feels like doing whenever one feels like doing it, whatever it is. That's the tainted left-wing version.
Freedom means being free to be the best you can be, under any circumstances, inevitably in service to something greater than oneself.
Anything else is simply selfish hedonism.
So what's service? Submission? To what?

Take a stroll in the forest and marvel at what you never saw before, each time you do it, over and over. Feel gratitude for being able to do so.
That's service. That's worship. Worship of what?

Reality. The forgotten Deity that was the original meaning of the word 'God'.

Entity

Post by Entity » Mon Nov 16, 2015 2:51 am

Now, I love the idea of letting things be, but for sake of discussion, what if someone were to be truly free, and never care about what anyone thinks of them, but dabbled in charity work, and other means of helping people? Would that negate the freedom thing, or just stay to the side as a minor activity?
"A penny saved is a penny you keep." -Me

crow

Post by crow » Mon Nov 16, 2015 3:10 am

A truly free person doesn't do charity like a non-free person does. Not an issue. It just naturally happens if, as, and when it happens.
A truly free person knows that nobody can help anybody else, in any way other than on an if, as, and when, basis.
Because what charity almost always is, is a display of false altruism, coupled with a Pavlovian guilt reflex.
It helps nobody, not even the one doing it.

Super Nature Girl

Post by Super Nature Girl » Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:56 am

No, certainly freedom is not just doing whatever you want.

Even if the intention isn't true altruism, charity still has the potential of helping someone.

Super Nature Girl

Post by Super Nature Girl » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:04 am

or maybe it can be if what you want is to be integrated into nature and nothing more.

crow

Post by crow » Mon Nov 16, 2015 5:08 am

Super Nature Girl wrote:No, certainly freedom is not just doing whatever you want.
Even if the intention isn't true altruism, charity still has the potential of helping someone.
It would appear so, on the face of it, and does so, to many people.
Only after many years of indulging in it, and seeing both the immediate and long-term results of 'charity', does the truth become apparent.

True charity is as natural as breathing. It happens, all by itself. One serves.
But our society has decayed to the point of every action being no more than a display of the appearance of something it is not, with the unsurprising result of such actions being taken for what they are: worthless gestures that almost invariably enable continued failure in the one supposedly being helped.

i would know. I have over fifty years of trying to help people out, while paying heavily for doing so, and seeing nothing of value resulting from it.
Charity depends, entirely, upon goodwill, and reciprocation. It is a mutual undertaking. Rewards are indirect, but there must be rewards, or it arrives at the state it has arrived at.

Super Nature Girl

Post by Super Nature Girl » Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:14 pm

I cant argue that the meaning of charity and its implementation have become different things. However I do not believe it is a worthless gesture, even when it is saturated in selfishness. 50 years of trying to help and chances are you've created a smile, you'll never know what the results of that were/are.

crow

Post by crow » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:17 pm

Ha! People are responsible for their own smiles. I am responsible for mine.
Then again, I've decided the pursuit of people is one of those blind alleys that prevent one from being in touch with Reality.
Took me way too long to figure that out, but now that I have, everything goes so much better than it did.

You're right about one thing, though:
I've been writing about Reality on the internet for over twenty years, and although it always seemed like a futile gesture, I now see my concepts coming back to me from all over the place. The notion of there being more to life than just people and people stuff is taking root and spreading. That's gratifying.