Are you good at reading people emotions?

Non-MBTI psychology topics, mental disorders, human nature...
crow
MBTI type: INFJ
Gender (M or F): M

Re: Are you good at reading people emotions?

Post by crow » Sun Oct 25, 2015 8:57 pm

That's good. Examine the way it feels, this being lost. There are far worse things than being lost.

Entejay
MBTI type: ENTJ

Post by Entejay » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:19 pm

crow wrote:That's good. Examine the way it feels, this being lost. There are far worse things than being lost.
It makes me feel empty. Angry. Angry because I spent my time and didn't get anything in return. I feel foolish, because I lost my time on something that didn't end with anything (not even something bad, because from bad, at least I could learn something).

crow

Post by crow » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:24 pm

That's too bad. I feel for you. Still, angry is your customary state, so you didn't stray too far from the known world.
That you came away with nothing is your own doing. I regularly sell interactions like this one for big bucks.

Entity
MBTI type: INFP

Post by Entity » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:18 am

Back to the topic of the post, I'm decent at reading emotions, excellent at matching them. Sympathy and empathy are some of my favourite pastimes.
"A penny saved is a penny you keep." -Me

crow

Post by crow » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:01 am

There's nothing wrong with empathy, but sympathy can easily become toxic to both giver and receiver.
What is it, anyway? Did you ever consider it?

Entity

Post by Entity » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:11 am

Yeah, I try my best for empathy over sympathy. I really don't set out to make anyone feel bad. A man once said, ''The worst thing you can give someone is pity." He was right.

crow

Post by crow » Mon Oct 26, 2015 1:29 am

Good for you. Sanity lies in the details. The crazy ones would call you prejudiced for making the distinction.
If you gotta be sympathetic, save it for that bunch; they are the most deserving.

Entejay

Post by Entejay » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:49 am

crow wrote:That's too bad. I feel for you. Still, angry is your customary state, so you didn't stray too far from the known world.
That you came away with nothing is your own doing. I regularly sell interactions like this one for big bucks.
How can else be? We have a limited existence in this world. Limited by time. Time is irrevocable resource. If we spend it for nothing, it demeans our life. Which makes me angry. It is a kind of disrespect to ones life.
Entity wrote:Back to the topic of the post, I'm decent at reading emotions, excellent at matching them. Sympathy and empathy are some of my favourite pastimes.
What do you mean by "matching" them? Reciprocate? What for?

Entity

Post by Entity » Mon Oct 26, 2015 2:10 pm

Well, if someone is mournful for their, let's say, late father, you grieve with them. For even if you never knew the man, his death had an impact on the person you do know, and you know that feeling. Reciprocate so they know you're not heartless/uninterested.

Entejay

Post by Entejay » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:03 pm

Entity wrote:Well, if someone is mournful for their, let's say, late father, you grieve with them. For even if you never knew the man, his death had an impact on the person you do know, and you know that feeling. Reciprocate so they know you're not heartless/uninterested.
I see.

Another question. Why do you care whether they think you are heartless or uninterested?

Entity

Post by Entity » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:41 pm

I don't want them to believe something that isn't true. I'm not heartless, and I care about others. Unlike many people, being seen as heartless would hinder my self-worth.

Entejay

Post by Entejay » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:58 pm

Entity wrote:I don't want them to believe something that isn't true. I'm not heartless, and I care about others. Unlike many people, being seen as heartless would hinder my self-worth.
Hmm...interesting how you put it. But aren't you doing something that isn't true? You don't know the person who died, and yet you are showing the emotions that can't be there without knowing that person to begin with. How does that relate to the "truth"?

Besides, if you don't know the person, isn't it heartless to show sympathy when it cant be there? How does that relate to the self worth?

And if you are doing that simply because people "expect" you to do it...doesn't that count as manipulation...or a lie?

Entity

Post by Entity » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:08 pm

It comes naturally. I would mourn not out of choice, nor out of social normality, but because I naturally feel sorry. If everyone thought, "Oh, Entity's a cold bastard, he doesn't care about anyone's feelings," then I would feel bad because I do care about peoples' feelings.

Entejay

Post by Entejay » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:20 pm

Entity wrote:It comes naturally. I would mourn not out of choice, nor out of social normality, but because I naturally feel sorry. If everyone thought, "Oh, Entity's a cold bastard, he doesn't care about anyone's feelings," then I would feel bad because I do care about peoples' feelings.
How can you feel something about someone when you don't know anything about them? I mean there are thousands of people die everyday. You don't seem to be disturbed by it now don't you?

So whatever comes naturally, probably has nothing to do with the "truth" isn't it? Is "truth" is what you feel? Or is it something that is outside of emotional realm?

Maybe what you "feel" has alot to do with what people "expect" from you rather than anything else?

Yes everybody might think something about you...good or bad. But which one is more important to you; What people feel about you...or what the truth is? Because both cannot always be in synchronous relationship. Other people are prone to making mistakes. Are you going to repeat their mistakes too? Does "self worth" has anything to say in this?

Entity

Post by Entity » Mon Oct 26, 2015 5:47 pm

Okay, this is surprisingly prying for "I feel sorry for your loss".