The Search For Identity

Non-MBTI psychology topics, mental disorders, human nature...
Randomosity
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): F

The Search For Identity

Post by Randomosity » Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:04 am

I, and from what I've read and observed, other INFPs have this continuing search for self identity. My search is never ending. Are there other types or people who have felt this struggle? Talking to friends doesn't work, and neither does writing to them, because it doesn't matter as much to them. Am I the only one?

BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ
Gender (M or F): M

Re: The Search For Identity

Post by BabyDragon » Fri Nov 23, 2012 3:55 pm

I think this applies to any intelligent person.

But it's fascinating to me how some people don't care about it. I guess it's easier to live that way.

Nihon
MBTI type: Intj

Post by Nihon » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:30 pm

Yes, I've noticed this but only recently. When I was younger, I thought that I would just know who I was at some point and would stop looking then. But the more I find out about myself, the more I find that I don't actually know who I am, so it just gets more complicated. The personality systems have helped immensely though. I would never have understood as much about myself so easily had I not found the personality systems. But even with these systems, there are so many errors and incomplete portions and important factors/elements that are left out. These are things I have to continue to look for in other places. It may continue for as long as I live but I am determined to get a real grasp of who am actually am. I've noticed that once you understand how other people work, you have a much better chance of understand how you actually work.

sonamumm

Post by sonamumm » Mon Jan 14, 2013 2:55 pm

I would go beyond the psychological types and ask myself: "who I really am?"; "how can I get back to being me?"
Personally I don't know the answere but god knows how eagerly I'm searching the ways..

Chowdah

Post by Chowdah » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:21 am

I have spent the better portion of my life asking that exact question. Even when I was young...maybe 8-9 years old, I always wondered "who am I?" I would dress up as a farm kid, a jock, a preppy...you name it, I explored it. As I got (or am getting older...41 now) I know that the MBTI INFP will struggle more with this than most other types. I have found it helpful to think of what others do or say as a means of enhancing my self esteem as opposed to providing it. INFPs are sensitive souls, we internalize a lot of data and we can intuit a lot as well...this can get garbled up and misinterpreted at times, often leavingus wondering if X is a better "way to be"...the reality is you cannot change the way you process information or interpret the world. You can function as a different type, uncomfortably, but your preferred method of experiencing the world will always default back to your cognitive functions. I have tried to teach hard scientific classes, and I always left with a mild headache or a "fuzzy" feeling. When I have to teach something about words, literature, poetry, abstract ideas, symbollism, something inside comes alive and I can talk for hours feeling recharges almost ecstatic. Its part of how I am wired.... I cant explain it. What has given me great peace and peace of mind, is to realize I am just not good at certain things and much better at others. I can try and fix your car, but an ISTP will do it much better...I can try my hand at acting but an ESFP will steal the show...but ask me about fellings, values, sentiments, literature, words, languages, lyrics, symbollism...that my friend is our inheritance.

crow
MBTI type: INFJ

Post by crow » Tue Nov 11, 2014 6:26 am

Around age 40, I had a truly awesome experience. Ever after, I knew exactly who and what I was. I can vaguely remember not-knowing this, but only vaguely. I still develop, day by day, but I always know myself completely. I imagine it is very rare.