If you could change type

Non-MBTI psychology topics, mental disorders, human nature...
Pam
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): F

If you could change type

Post by Pam » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:51 pm

Would you? If yes, which type would it be?

How about if you had to change type?

After some pondering, I think I wouldn't change type. I'm glad I'm an INFP.
Site about the istp personality: http://www.istps.com/

BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ
Gender (M or F): M

Re: If you could change type

Post by BabyDragon » Sun Nov 28, 2010 2:09 pm

Can I post too? :)

I'd like to be more introverted. But like seriously introverted that I don't need people at all to energize me. I could spend hours learning and working on my projects. I know it probably sounds crazy to a feeler but I think I'd love it.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:46 pm

If I changed types then I wouldn't be me any more. I've rather settled into being myself. I'd love to change some of my behaviors within the framework of being in INFP, but changing types sounds like starting all over. I wouldn't mind test-driving a few types for the perspective, but I'm coming home in my INFP microbus.

Nomorenames
MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): u

Post by Nomorenames » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:17 pm

I'd settle for simply adjusting the passion to apathy ratio

October

Post by October » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:15 pm

INTJ.

or ENFP.

*shrugs*
When I let go of what I am, I become what i might be.

October

Post by October » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:16 pm

Nomorenames wrote:I'd settle for simply adjusting the passion to apathy ratio
You say so, but I doubt you would like that. :)
When I let go of what I am, I become what i might be.

Nomorenames
MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): u

Post by Nomorenames » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:56 am

October wrote:
You say so, but I doubt you would like that. :)

Hmm, let's say I can also focus and I'd say I would like it very much.

boredToDeath

Post by boredToDeath » Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:27 pm

I would stay myself. I don't want to be somebody else. I'm happy the way I am :)
Life is a comedy to those who think and a tragedy to those who feel.

Phil
MBTI type: ISFP

Post by Phil » Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:26 am

I don't know anything about the other types - don't see any reason to. The one thing I would like to have is a more consistent work ethic, though.

Xander

Post by Xander » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:57 pm

Never! Love who I am and truth is as most INFP's know, we have the ability to be a chameleon personality. No other personality type that I'm aware of can for lack of a better word 'pretend' to be anouther personality type and pull it off. Granted it takes a lot of energy, we can do it.

I need a job interview to go down successfully? I flip the switch to ESTJ and score myself a job. Now reverse that concept. Mr. ESTJ is having troubles with empathy towards a gf who's cat died. He can't tap into the compassionate INFP personality.

On any given day an INFP can use any personality type ability to get what they need/want. I'm the most introverted person on the planet but tell me that I have to give a 20 minute speech in front of a large audience to make a couple hundred bucks to go snowboarding and I can do it. Oh right, that's the other thing, INFP's can be good at ANYTHING! As long as it's an ideal. Many other personality types are stuck in one small quadrant.

Actually driving me insane thinking that someone might want to change their personality type because as narcissistic as this may sound, I believe INFP's have the most gifted personality there is.

Sure, it can be tough finding an unconventional job as an INFP in a conventional world BUT when that job is found and you combine an INFP's OCD nature about an idealistic career with something that they really care about, you have the makings of a far more successful person. What I mean is that an INFP who finds the right career to match who they are will make wayyyyy more $$$$$$ and be way more happy than the conventional person who's only benefit from a job is that they get to bring home a paycheque. Case in point, my brother within the next few yrs will be bringing home a lot of $$ as a lawyer but in his own words, it's all about the paycheque and that's the only satisfaction he wants or will get from that job.

Match an INFP with a great artistic career and not only will they make more $$$$ than my brother the lawyer, but they'll get more satisfaction during the week. The paycheque is more of a nice bonus so to speak.
Someday I'm going to be an art director making double what my bro makes and getting more satisfaction along the way. Why the heck would you want to be anouther personality type.

Sure, it's hell trying to find the job that appeals to your ideals and uses your talents, but once found, far more upside.
I'm of-course speaking from the pov of someone who took until he was 32 to discover a career that matches my talent and ideals perfectly and went through hell and back along the way. And sure somedays along the way you may wish you were more 'simple' minded and okay with just getting a paycheque, but NOTHANKS. It's really up to the person to find this creative career for themselves and I do understand that for many the range of job scale is much larger than for most personality types.

Eg: INFP has no satisfaction from a job and as a result has a really lousy conventional job. Being an INFP i know that we simply SUCK at conventional jobs.A conventional person with very marginal talents can be way more successful than an INFP which can make people like us feel like we got the short end of the stick. But INFP's can find some duct tape and a second piece of wood to extend that 'short end of the stick' further than a conventional type could possibly imagine.

So, no, wouldn't want to change my type.

In the end an INFP has a chance to live a more fulfilling life. I don't want know simple life man, lol. Freakin boring.

AND TO ANSWER THE POSTER ABOVE ME, work ethic and OCD behaviour will become part of every second of your working life once you place an artistic talent with your ideal. For me, that's creating visually appealing material in advertising/gaming. With exception to playing sports, I HAD ZERO work ethic, and I MEAN ZERO. To emphasize my point, I refused to even work while sitting on my ass at home in my parents house. Self diagnosed as the laziest person on the planet.

This was until I chased down the career that matches my OCD artistic interests. The lower your work ethic the more reason to understand that you're in a conventional job that YOU HATE!!! Find or create a career for yourself based on the areas of your life where you're OCD and you'll soon discover that you're willing to work harder than most. INFP+perfectionism+OCD interest or ideal= success and happiness in a career beyond your wildest imagination.

Quit working the damn conventional job man, lol. You'll soon discover your work ethic and be shocked to find out that it's much much higher than you could imagine. On the job now, I outwork everyone I come into contact with because I LOVE what I do. INFP's OCD behaviour is an invitation to become great. Embrace it and find yourself. You wont do that if you're working a conventional job and you'll continue to have zero work ethic man.

The 35 year old dude that wrote up the script for desperate housewives was living with his parents when he came up with the idea and became OCD about the show idea. The rest you can read into on the star channel. If he had not chased his ideals, he would be working at Canadian Tire right now making chump change and being told he was a loser. Guess what, now all those people who called him lazy now are paying the cable bill just to watch his show while he's in the bahamas chillin with beautiful women (lol, I don't know this) Just the picture I wanted to paint.

Match your OCD with your ideals and do an artistic career. Or be unhappy and falsely labeled for the rest of your life. Choice is yours mate.

Xander

Post by Xander » Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:15 pm

OCD = passion. Just because the world doesn't see it, doesn't mean you're not a lava storm ready to explode on the inside.
Sounds like some ppl have just told you that you lacked passion. Forget society and look deep within urself. Besides, feeling apathy is a passionate response :P You care because you have passion!

the boss
MBTI type: INFJ

Post by the boss » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:44 am

Sorry Xander, but being a chameleon is pretty much the only way I get buy, and I am very good at it, too. We are very similar in many respects. We both have a gift for mediation, I think. We both can communicate effectively across types, and translate from type to type with a bit of experience under our belts. We are flexible people because we believe in growth, and with that comes adaptability. :)

I would also never change my type. I love the way I see the world, the way I see people, the people itself, the meaningfulness that enriches my life. Never would I want to change that about myself :)

alpha
MBTI type: INTP

Post by alpha » Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:26 pm

INTJ, or ENTJ. I don't really enjoy being a Perceiver, but I'll want to keep the NT.

Kevs

Post by Kevs » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:22 am

Gotta defend what I finally found. Militant INFP. Does that make sense? Non-violent militant INFP. Hell no, I won't go!

morningsea

Post by morningsea » Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:44 pm

I would not changed it beacuse INFPs are genuine, caring, and awesome individuals -antithesis to the world we live in. However, I would like to go back in time (when I was 15) and use the knowledge and experiences (both positive and negative) to cope with my INFPness in this brutal world.