Favorite books, reviews, recommend a book

Music, movies, books...
BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ
Gender (M or F): M

Re: Favorite books, reviews, recommend a book

Post by BabyDragon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:01 am

Oh yes, Hemingway is awesome. That guy went through 2 wars, survived a plane crash and survived cancer.

Morphinedreams
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): F

Post by Morphinedreams » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:42 pm

And for that i feel i have to honor him and give the book another chance :-). To be fair it's a sound-book i've tried. Not really my cup of tea. It feels as if someone is trying to persuade me into doing something I'm not sure what it is and therefore i will not accept and above that i don't even know that person, like - who the hell is polluting my soundspace, is it a good? (what is good) person, is it someone i could get along with, the voice is all wrong, it doesn't ring true, you will make me fall asleep, i wonder if he or she has a cat or if it's one of those who pretend to love cooking and puts it on social media just to get acceptance from people he/she doesn't even know and then he/she will continue with selfhatred but be totally unaware and subconsciously try to get rid of it by pointing fingers and become even more absorbed in the presentation and that's why you're a lousy actor distroying my readingmoment - be honest for gods sake! I wonder if there are subliminal messages incoded in this reading...so i don't really like those soundbooks. But i love to be read to by someone i know... Don't know if it's infp or paranoia 😄. Would you say u share the same "problem"?

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:01 pm

No, not really xD

I like audiobooks, since my attention span is not that good for reading long books.

Morphinedreams
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): F

Post by Morphinedreams » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:56 am

:-D kind of guessed...

interesting what we prefer. my attentionspan (obviously) doesn't fit with "noice"

synapser
MBTI type: INFJ

Post by synapser » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:37 am

Morphinedreams wrote:
Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:57 pm
Yes it's lovely! The way raskolnikov changes, how the guilt makes him behave and how we follow this "anti-hero" around (sorry for lack of proper words) and the question he raises in the reader about dubious things. I can't read as fast as i would like cause I'm afraid of missing out. I think he manages to "set the mood" by the rythm of his language. There are so many levels of good and right now my own words only seem to smudge it. Have you read his "notes from the underground" (maybe not correct translation)? A goal would be reading it in original but it seems like a hard language in translation, might have to move...
Have you read Tolstoy?

If you really want to get into the Russian author Gogol and Solizhitskin (badly misspelled) are good choices. I took Russian Civ in college and could list 4-5 good examples of stuff if you would like.

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Wed Apr 25, 2018 8:20 am

You mean Solzhenitsyn?

I'm reading Gulag Archipelago at the moment.

synapser
MBTI type: INFJ

Post by synapser » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Yep
Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.
I remember his Harvard Commencement Address in 2012 being particularly appealing to me.

The other russian titles that i liked were.
The Patriotism of Dispair by Oushakine
The Overcoat by Gogol
We by Yevgeny Zamyatin