Films you want to see

Music, movies, books...
Nomorenames
MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): u

Films you want to see

Post by Nomorenames » Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:34 pm

There's a thread for films we've already watched, but no thread for upcoming films or just movies you've heard of and are interested in checking out. I figure this thread could be useful. Lot's of indie films take a while to be "widely" released (and by that I mean outside of film festivals). Some never even get the chance! Doesn't that suck? Hopefully this thread will serve as a way to keep awareness up around the sorts of films that run the festival circuit and then fall into obscurity.

Blue Valentine I'm a sucker for a good heart-rending drama. I've also got a huge man-crush on Ryan Gosling. This is a win-win (looks like I'm feeling quite hyphen-y today) I believe it's being released in the US around Dec. 30. I think.

Black Swan Nomorenames, you may ask yourself, how do you decide what films to watch? Simple. I fall in love with/am endeared by actors and then I just follow what they work on (Natalie Portman <3 ) That or I find fascinating directors. Darren Aronofsky has done some fantastic work (Pi, Requiem for a Dream, the Fountain) and I'm sure this psychological thriller will live up to what I've come to expect from him

A conman (Jim Carrey) gets caught, arrested and sentenced to do time in jail where he discovers he's gay and falls in love with a fellow inmate. LOL. Okay, why not? It certainly sounds funny!

What about you all, fellow forumers?

MoneyJungle
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): M

Re: Films you want to see

Post by MoneyJungle » Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:08 am

I read an article in the paper about how Black Swan was flirting with an NC 17 rating due to girl on girl action between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis (don't get me started on on sexuality vs violence and movie ratings. Damn buckle-hatted puritans). I just want to see it for the cinematography and script, of course.

I'm really looking forward to True Grit. I love the Coens and Jeff Bridges in tandem. I'm not really aware of upcoming movies. Most of the good stuff just kind of turns up at the art-house and I put on my thinking beret and pretend to understand.

Phil
MBTI type: ISFP

Post by Phil » Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:15 pm

I was considering seeing Deathly Hallows, but I'm not sure if it would be worth $30 (wanted to see it in IMAX) for what will probably be a year long cliff hanger.

Nomorenames

Post by Nomorenames » Tue Dec 07, 2010 3:47 am

Phil wrote:I was considering seeing Deathly Hallows, but I'm not sure if it would be worth $30 (wanted to see it in IMAX) for what will probably be a year long cliff hanger.

:shock:

MoneyJungle wrote:I read an article in the paper about how Black Swan was flirting with an NC 17 rating due to girl on girl action between Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis (don't get me started on on sexuality vs violence and movie ratings. Damn buckle-hatted puritans). I just want to see it for the cinematography and script, of course.
Of course! Blue Valentine is NC-17 because of some very authentic sex scenes. In fact, Michelle Williams apparently drove home after shooting those scenes so upset that she screamed out the window the whole hour long drive. Intense stuff. (What the hell, Ryan? What did you do to her?)
MoneyJungle wrote:I'm really looking forward to True Grit. I love the Coens and Jeff Bridges in tandem. I'm not really aware of upcoming movies. Most of the good stuff just kind of turns up at the art-house and I put on my thinking beret and pretend to understand.
Jeff Bridges seems to have been specially made to play gruff cowboys.

But yeah, YHWH bless art-house cinemas.

Faby

Post by Faby » Sat Dec 25, 2010 3:05 pm

Uhm, let's see:

* Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides
* Deathly Hallows 2
* The Inbetweeners (film, loved the show)

And a few more. Good thing is, all of them are coming out next year :D

Nomorenames

Post by Nomorenames » Mon Dec 27, 2010 4:10 am

Tree of Life: OH HAI I'M AN INFP AND THIS LOOKS LIKE SOMETHING I'D LOVE TO SEE

Sucker Punch; let it never be said I don't have an interest in action movies.

FiNe SiTe

Post by FiNe SiTe » Wed Dec 29, 2010 1:57 am

I want to see:
Tron: Legacy, The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader and the X-men Series.

winter
Gender (M or F): F

Post by winter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:54 am

Black Swan was at the top of my list but I saw it a few days ago and it was incredibly intense, but in a way that made me admire Natalie Portman all the more.

All the other films on my list (True Grit and The Tree of Life) have already been mentioned, so I won't post pictures. Actually, I am eagerly anticipating Never Let Me Go. I know it's already been released but it never came to a theater near me so I haven't had the chance to see it. Carey Mulligan is my absolute favorite actress and Andrew Garfield is earning his own place in my heart. DVD soon, please! :)

"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all."
- Emily Dickinson

Nomorenames

Post by Nomorenames » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:31 pm

winter wrote:Black Swan was at the top of my list but I saw it a few days ago and it was incredibly intense, but in a way that made me admire Natalie Portman all the more.

All the other films on my list (True Grit and The Tree of Life) have already been mentioned, so I won't post pictures. Actually, I am eagerly anticipating Never Let Me Go. I know it's already been released but it never came to a theater near me so I haven't had the chance to see it. Carey Mulligan is my absolute favorite actress and Andrew Garfield is earning his own place in my heart. DVD soon, please! :)

That is such a great movie! Oh man!

winter
Gender (M or F): F

Post by winter » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:35 am

Nomorenames wrote: That is such a great movie! Oh man!
I'm so glad that someone else enjoyed it! ^_^
"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all."
- Emily Dickinson

Nomorenames

Post by Nomorenames » Thu Jan 06, 2011 7:26 pm

Enter the Void

I've already seen it, loved it, and praised it as GENIUS but I'mma go see it again and this time I'm cajoling a couple friends into seeing it with me. Consideration and boundaries be damned!

Nomorenames

Post by Nomorenames » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:24 am

Biutiful- Our inescapable mortality produces such beauty. Here's hoping this film lives up to it's title.

Nomorenames

Post by Nomorenames » Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:39 am

Barney's Version Guy has a shotgun wedding, meets his true love at the reception, hilarity will doubtlessly ensue.

^and poignancy.

Nomorenames

Post by Nomorenames » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:19 pm

Paul- Simon Pegg and Nick Frost never let me down. I've been patiently waiting for this movie for quite a while. Now there's just the third in the Cornetto trilogy to look forward to. Here's hoping I don't have to wait much longer (I'm getting old!)

Kimchi

Post by Kimchi » Wed Jun 01, 2011 9:08 pm