A little help? Trying to understand INFP

Do you haz relationshipz? Do they huurt?
Phionite
MBTI type: INTP
Gender (M or F): F

A little help? Trying to understand INFP

Post by Phionite » Fri Jan 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Hello everyone!
I'm an INTP.
The point of this post is that I need help figuring out the motives of an E/INFP guy (I'm a girl). And when I say motives I don't mean whether he likes me or not although that could be a factor.
So, here go the details!
My sister introduced us at the end of the last semester, she had class with him and they became pretty friendly acquaintances. First time, we didn't talk much cause I had to go to class. Second time we talked a bit more and it turned out we had some things in common like same favorite authors. Pretty much the only reason I was talking is because I love books and as some of you may know, INTPs aren't very social especially with people they just met unless it's a topic they're passionate about. After that it was break, we had no way of seeing each other and frankly I didn't think we ever would talk again, but he found me on social media and we started messaging. I didn't mind, but it did kinda freak me out (as do all interactions with strangers and little known people). After talking in this manner for about 1-2 months, we saw each other again at school, but once again I was running late to class, so we only exchanged a couple words. He's pretty nice and stuff, but as an INTP I of course have to overanalyze everything and I need to know why he messaged me in the first place. He's not really friends with my sister, they are more like class buddies and they don't talk much outside of school. I know he probably wants to be friends and that is perfectly acceptable for me, but why?
Also, in the beginning he always tried to keep up the conversation going by asking questions even if they were something simple like my favorite color, now it's me struggling to come up with those questions. Is that a sign he doesn't want to be friends anymore? I know he has a pretty busy life, could that be reason enough?
I figured other INFPs would have a better idea of what is going on, so that's why I'm posting here.
P.S. I'm mostly interested in how his INFP mind works and what motivates him to do what he does.
Last edited by Phionite on Sat Jan 28, 2017 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

Entity
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): M

Re: A little help?

Post by Entity » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:12 am

I have no idea, since I'm not this guy, but my main theory is that he heard/realized that "girls like it more if you play hard to get," and as such has gone silent. My other theory is that something could have happened in his life, something negative, and he's naturally more apprehensive about talking. As for his other motives, I don't know.
Welcome to the forum, though!
"A penny saved is a penny you keep." -Me

dannyseek
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): M

Re: A little help? Trying to understand INFP

Post by dannyseek » Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:39 am

I wonder how this ended up. I know i'm very late to answer (by 3 months!) but I only found out about MBTI recently and i'm starting to roam the forums in search of answers as well. About your question, there is a great chance he was actually interested in you and most likely in something beyond a friendship. There is also a chance that he sensed "you were freaked out" by him approaching you on social media. If he's a true INFP, it most likely took a great deal of effort on his part to take that step (approach you), and any phrase or gesture perceived as "unwelcoming" would have pretty much scared him away. Anyway, I know this answer is super late. I hope you guys figured it out and are now friends/anything that makes you two happy.