INFP FORUM

A discussion board for INFPs and other people of good will.
It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: ENTJ + INFP
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:17 am 
Site Admin

MBTI type: ENTJ
Gender (M or F): M
Contrary to most people's perceptions about ENTJs, INFPs, and MBTI, Keirsey matches those two as an ideal relationship.

http://www.entjpersonality.info/2010/06/entj-infp.html

I have a very good ENFP friend and if INFPs are supposed to be wiser and less smothering then I guess that person would really be ideal for me.

I look forward to your comments.

Post subject: Re: ENTJ + INFP
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:31 pm 

MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): F
admin wrote:
Contrary to most people's perceptions about ENTJs, INFPs,

What? :) I love ENTJs.

I have an ENTJ and an INTJ friend and I get along great with them. I love their sarcastic wit and sincerity.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 6:54 pm 

MBTI type: INXX
Gender (M or F): X
I have a good friends with an ENTJ and an INTJ. Both are a lot of fun to be around.

I've met several INFP's, but I don't have many INFP friends. They have been hard for me to find, let alone ask what their MBTI type is.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:14 pm 

I don't know very many ENTJs IRL. I can think of two men I know who likely are ENTJs, but they are old & ministers & rather balanced/mature individuals because of it. I suspect a guy I went to HS with is ENTJ also, and he was nice, quite smart & witty - sort of a "popular nerd", if you know what I mean.

I do have a great fascination with & love of ENFJs.... I've also had some dating experience with INTJs, but we never really click. Not sure where an ENTJ might fall on that "spectrum".

From a random observation of internet posts, I noticed that ENTJs & INFPs don't often run in the same circles. Often, people of such types report not knowing many or any of the other type. Where do you guys think an INFP & ENTJ might cross paths? How would one spot the other?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 3:46 pm 

MBTI type: ENFP
I love ENTJs, they are great friends

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 5:45 pm 

My mother and a good friend of mine are both ENTJ's. And we get along really well :)

My dad is an ESTJ and we really don't get along at all. Surprising, how one letter can change a relationship :P

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 8:48 am 
Site Admin

boredToDeath wrote:
My dad is an ESTJ and we really don't get along at all. Surprising, how one letter can change a relationship :P

Yeah. I've found that the S-N divide is the most important in communication because we communicate in a figurative abstract way and sensers communicate in a more literal fashion. Still, some sensers can be pretty darn fun to be with.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2010 11:19 am 

BabyDragon wrote:
Still, some sensers can be pretty darn fun to be with.

Actually I don't think that personality puts any basis for friendship. There is something more to it than just 4 letters, you just 'click' with someone.

And yes, some sensors are pretty darn fun to be with :D

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:05 am 

Well, I don't really have that many ENTJ acquaintances, so I looked up what socionics says on the subject...

(If you're not familiar with it, there are these tables of intertype relationships which are very interesting. You migh want to check them out.)

Here's what is says:

Quote:
Supervision.

Asymmetric relationship.

One partner (the recipient) feels like he is being watched closely by the other (the transmitter) and becomes overly self-conscious and defensive or apologetic. The transmitter doesn't appreciate most of what the recipient does and underestimates his abilities and personal qualities, which hurts the recipient's self-esteem and can lead to long-lasting scars. The transmitter is surprised by the recipient's sensitivity and doesn't know what to do about it. The recipient feels like he can't take any initiative when he is around the transmitter, who wonders why the recipient doesn't do anything on his own. Difficult relations for a close or medium psychological distance.

Where we, IEI (INFPs) are the recipients, and LIE (ENTJs) are the transmitters. :|

Doesn't sound too fun, does it? :\

Oh well. I still believe boredToDeath to be right. There's something more to friendship than solely a personality type.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:20 am 
Site Admin

Socionics relationships have always been really dumb to me. I think Keirsey nailed it down right. In one of his theories he matches:

NFP+NTJ
SFP+STJ
NFJ+NTP
SFJ+STP

I've been a long time member of the INTJ forum and there's a tone of topics about ENFP relationships (magnetic attraction between these two). Also I've seen too many ESFP-ISTJ couples in real life that I'd rather believe Keirsey. The list goes on if you watch people's interactions IRL. It's logical that the same judging functions and a common "N" or "S" would be a good basis for a relationship, because judging functions are what makes the biggest difference in opinion. Because of my dominant Te I find it very hard to get along with dominant Fe types, especially ESFJs

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:38 am 

Right, I see what you mean. Judging functions make the difference in opinion. True. But there's more to interaction than just that.

I'm not claiming socionics' intertype relationships to be the ultimate truth, either. I guess I simply turned to it because it's sort of my background :). Still, I believe there are many good points in socionics' approach as well.

Anyhow, I don't feel like polemicizing, because, as I said, I don't have any experience with ENTJs, hence don't feel just enough to make a statement. :\

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:25 am 

MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): u
The only ENTJ I suspect I've ever met absolutely intimidated me. He was very impressive and I felt I had nothing to give. He was my age, yet he had a great number of admirable accomplishments and experiences under his belt.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:36 am 

In theory ENTJ(s) would be perfect as friend or partner.

Reasons:

I really enjoy the company of INTJs.
I'm a type 6 so it would be natural for me to want someone that is direct, loyal and trusting; from what I've read ENTJs seem to posses these qualities.
I need someone to bring me put of my "shell" - *^ see second point*

Pretty much just for selfish reasons. :mrgreen:

To bad it's only a theory, I would really like to meet one.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 10:38 pm 

Hey there! I found this forum through the article and just had to post! I am an INFP (female) and my partner is an ENTJ (male).

We are very different in many ways, and subsequently can drive each other up the wall. He is confident, opinionated, decisive and dominant. I am less (outwardly) confident, reserved, pensive and very sensitive to emotions.

I can find him cold and get easily offended as he often snaps aggressively at small issues, yet he can find me cold as I find it difficult to fully express my emotions. (Although he has said to me that he finds my phlegmatic nature unusual and exciting...as he loves to "work people out" and guess what they're thinking, but with me he never can. I'm his, and I quote, *cough* "phlegmatic fairy" :oops: Haha!) He can also be very domineering, which does unfortunately tend to encourage my passive side. Unless it goes against my principles, of course, in which case I can be extremely stubborn much to his fustration...

Socially, he loves to be centre of the attention and give his opinions. I am happy to listen but will freely give my opinion when deemed necessary. He makes firm decision and plans - and sticks to them - whereas I do not make decisions easily. He is very concerned with his future and achieving his goals whereas I sort of float around and take life as it comes, although I also have goals, just not as convolute as his. I avoid arguments like the plague yet he loves a good shouting match to clear the air. He is inexcusably passionate in all aspects of his life whereas I am more restrained (although I feel just as passionate on the inside). I am very intune with the feelings of those around me yet he tends to miss them completely, and do or say things I find insensitive or inappropriate. He is highly critical of everything which I can also struggle with.

Really, sometimes he drives me crazy. But there are many good points of our relationship and we're very similar at the core. We share the same view of the world and ultimately have similar goals and values. Our differences compliment each other, I think. I have definately learnt not to be so sensitive and to make my voice heard more, and he is learning to not gloss over other's feelings as much. He motivates me and I calm him when he gets unecessarily self critical/stressed. It takes a lot of careful communication but in general I think we work together. And well, through all the INFP-esque dithering and worrying I do I know that deep down he is actually a big softie..!

Anyway, that's my two cents. Didn't think I'd ramble on as much as that but I could go on forever :lol: I've been reading quite a bit on MBTI types recently just out of curiosity...it's nice to get those thoughts out somewhere!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:45 am 
Site Admin

HI lily, welcome to the forum!

Your two cents are much appreciated.

My advice to you as an ENTJ is to try to let him know when he's being arrogant or aggressive, because that is not the behavior you should tolerate unless you really burned down the house or something. :D

I must admit that I don't see ENTJs snapping at small issues aggressively because we're not detail oriented, so are you sure he is not an ESTJ? People confuse the two so often and about half of the ENTJs on he ENTJforum are actually ESTJs. They have extroverted intuition Ne as a third function which makes them quite intuitive for a senser, more than an ISTJ definitely and they score close to the middle on S-N, just like ENTJs because our intuition is introverted, or you could say hidden, but the difference is big.

If he's really an ENTJ he'll listen to you. We don't put feelings in front of logic but we're well aware that feelings are important. Try to be more direct about whats bothering you. ENTJ or ESTJ, my advice is train your dragon! :)