INFP differences

All "personality theory" related topics can go here.
Faby
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): M

INFP differences

Post by Faby » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:49 am

It can be said that most INFPs share the same basic personality traits, or maybe even more than that. But there are those traits associated with the INFP archetype/stereotype/whatever that do not apply to individuals, given that personalities are complex and unique.

What are the differences between your personality and the INFP archetype?

Let's see, I've got:

-- I'm not as "people-oriented" as most people deem INFPs. I would NOT like to work with a lot of people. Working as a teacher or other such jobs that involve spending a lot of time with other human beings would be the death of me.
-- I'm not interested in finding the ultimate purpose for my life or the lives of others. I just do the things that make me happy.
-- I'm selfish.
-- My morals/principles are usually lax and malleable. I forgive people easily.

So, what about you?

ambi
MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): f

Re: INFP differences

Post by ambi » Mon Dec 27, 2010 11:03 am

i can take crictism, but hate being ignored...especially when i've done my upmost to impress someone and they haven't even noticed :cry:

Phil
MBTI type: ISFP
Gender (M or F): M

Post by Phil » Mon Dec 27, 2010 7:35 pm

I am quite realistic, and rarely do my feet ever leave the ground.

Nomorenames
Gender (M or F): u

Post by Nomorenames » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:30 am

ambi wrote:blahblablah hate being ignored...blahblah blah blahblah blah blah blahblahblah :cry:
hmm?

ambi

Post by ambi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:56 am

Nomorenames wrote:
ambi wrote:blahblablah hate being ignored...blahblah blah blahblah blah blah blahblahblah :cry:
hmm?
:o i was reluctant to post that info incase someone would actually notice. perception=paranoia :(

winter
Gender (M or F): F

Post by winter » Mon Jan 03, 2011 4:29 am

- I'm realistic about my idealism.
- I've learned not to be so emotionally sensitive to criticism -- although I may perceive a remark as being more negative than it was intended to be, the criticism doesn't bother me nearly as much as it used to.
- I'm actually very organized. Sometimes my workspace or living area may look cluttered, but everything is still in its place according to my personal system.
"Hope is the thing with feathers that perches in the soul - and sings the tunes without the words - and never stops at all."
- Emily Dickinson

Nomorenames
Gender (M or F): u

Post by Nomorenames » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:27 pm

ambi wrote:
Nomorenames wrote:
hmm?
:o i was reluctant to post that info incase someone would actually notice. perception=paranoia :(

*skips along merrily, completely ignorant*

Ha! I kid, I kid. Anyways, to keep on topic:

* I'm fairly impish. Nothing malicious, just that I tend to tease and taunt when being playful. I haven't seen that in other infps I've met.
* I dislike cats immensely (though I will concede that kittens are adorable)
* I would like to have a third point, but dammit I'm too typical );

EchoAnswer

Post by EchoAnswer » Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:43 am

Well, I'm not people-oriented either (no so unique, eh? :P ). That saying "I love humanity, but I hate people" sums up my attitude well. I'm not much interested in "service" jobs either. As an expressed introvert, people annoy me very quickly. I'm more idea/concept/creatively oriented. Serving people does not satisfy me. I admit, I seek some kind of personal, creative fulfillment. That's where my head is at - not focused on other people.

I'm not a people-pleaser at all; I have no problem bucking the tide if I believe in something, no problem saying "no" if I don't want to, and no problem being the voice of dissent if its a matter of staying authentic. So being in fear of confrontation does not mean I am a doormat by a long shot; I have a lot of spine, I'm simply easy-going in trivial matters (or what I see as trivial) & I prefer to have productive discussions, not aggressive arguments.

I have emotions, but have a hard time expressing them, especially the warm/soft ones. I never say "I love you", I am not super affectionate (in words or action), and I hate cliche romantic stuff (but REAL Romanticism is awesome). I don't get attached easily to people, and its rather hard to truly upset me; most friends describe me as calm & even guarded. Not the picture of the fuzzy wuzzy INFP, basically. I used to say I was a "mean INFP", or even "cool/aloof", "dark" or "prickly" . I think that's rather typical of the 4w5 INFP though. I am subtly moody, subtly melancholy, but mostly too reserved to come off as "emotional". Around those closest to me, I am a bit "temperamental", but not a drama queen, nor a teddy bear.

I also do not make decisions with emotions. I spend most of my time thinking, reasoning on matters, evaluating, and working out what things means. One cognitive function test described part of the Fi process as "making existential choices", and I think that's accurate.

I'm also freakin' GOOD at math & managing money (well, when I earn some; jobless at the moment). :D

Randomosity

Post by Randomosity » Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:20 pm

ambi wrote:i can take crictism, but hate being ignored...especially when i've done my upmost to impress someone and they haven't even noticed :cry:
I agree. Some other differences:
1. While I believe in the general goodness of mankind, I do not have rose colored glasses on. I understand that there are a lot of evil people in this world.
2. I have a very disorganized way to organize things, if that makes any sense.
3. If I need to be, I can be quite logical.

katiefoxy

Post by katiefoxy » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:51 pm

I Have good n bad days In Sporadic Yet Cyclical Patterns . My extrovert bf is a god send and altho I can get annoyed ,he has a childlike way of outlook where he wants to be outside and happy and active. It was hard for me to switch this behavior when around him but the good thing is he realizes we r different ! Sometime I have to make an effort to go to his social weekend shhhttufff .I don't like large group Interactions with non stimulating intellectual conversation . We r both potheads and talk about everything and lean on it for our excessive personality traits. I don't eat around people and I become in defense mode when out in the open susceptible I can feel like I'm prey . It helps me somewhat be on a meditative open state when socializing and altho I won't remember there names I wasn't thinking such negative things about myselfs relationships with people I have barely met. I love people .. Sometimes I highly dislike them. But I always want the best for them. My extrovert man has thus far helped me. Get in the sunshine more (cureall), be open to new things and push ur boundary of uncomfortable feel ins aside sometimes...to give things a chance. And I like knowing he isn't introverted and internalizing alot of things he is simple and awesome daily and I can read his mind it's perfect.my introvert side believed me all these years to be a downer and a nobody .and seeing the other side has helped me get out of my extreme negative side ! Which can be dark and apathetic nothingness. We are.both empathetic in nature tho .so maybe that's why we bond so seemlessly.not to say a down side hits and then i reclude even from him. I read gnostic literature , reasearch interests.stay in my room and reflect.

tapiocatern

Post by tapiocatern » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:44 am

I would hate a job that deal with people every day. The local corner grocery store is usually hiring, and my dad commented that I could probably eventually get my first job as a cashier there. I really don't think smiling and saying polite things to a hundred people a day is worth whatever they pay you.
I'm a terrible conversationalist (take that 16personalities!) and I don't like to do things with help because people do things in ways that work great for them, but not so great for me. This is all perfectly fine until it's my project.
The exception is that I DO NOT want to be a solo artist. I want to start a band instead. Heaven knows how that will work, since I don't know anyone and I'm not very talented, but a girl can dream, right?
Also... the thing about INFPs being mostly vegetarians or hippies or whatever. I'm not either one. And the last thing I want to be is a vegetarian. I don't eat much sugar, and by doing that I lost like 25 pounds, but I didn't do anything else (exercise, count calories, nothing) so I don't understand the whole "INFPs go for strange natural diets and stripped down lifestyles" thing.
By this time, it had become obvious to me that the only possible solution to my problem was chocolate.