Unhealthy INFP?

All "personality theory" related topics can go here.
BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ
Gender (M or F): M

Unhealthy INFP?

Post by BabyDragon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:40 pm

What does he/she look like?

ambi
MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): f

Re: Unhealthy INFP?

Post by ambi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:10 pm

we locks us all up :lol:

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 2:31 pm

safe is safe : )))))))))))

zuwi50
MBTI type: INFP

Post by zuwi50 » Sun Dec 26, 2010 4:10 pm

to much dreaming, or you could say escapism :D
Image of Image rises from the Image

ambi
Gender (M or F): f

Post by ambi » Sun Dec 26, 2010 7:28 pm

Nomorenames
Gender (M or F): u

Post by Nomorenames » Mon Dec 27, 2010 3:30 am

What kind of sickness are we talking about?

Let's see: weak, hypocritical, ego-centric, insensitive, irrational, deceitful and totally closed off out of fear and shame of being seen like that.

I probably missed some stuff.

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:31 am

Egocentric? I thought INFPs if unhealthy would get even more sensitive to people and let everyone walk over them?

Faby

Post by Faby » Mon Dec 27, 2010 9:46 am

Hey, hypocrisy is a normal human trait and I've grown to accept it D:

Nomorenames
Gender (M or F): u

Post by Nomorenames » Tue Dec 28, 2010 12:22 am

BabyDragon wrote:Egocentric? I thought INFPs if unhealthy would get even more sensitive to people and let everyone walk over them?
That's an INFP with poor self-esteem. That sort of thing is right on the cusp of Unhealthy, but not quite there. INFPs can be doormats and develop a sense of victimization. It's an unhealthy mindset that makes it easy to spiral into a deeper level of (pardon my French) fucked up-edness.

Faby wrote:Hey, hypocrisy is a normal human trait and I've grown to accept it D:
Complacent? J'accuse!

lifesight
Gender (M or F): F

Post by lifesight » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:05 am

an unhealthy infp is one that deals with critics badly, do not confront and avoid, bad ways to cope with stress... and so on

EchoAnswer

Post by EchoAnswer » Sun Jul 31, 2011 8:16 pm

Since MBTI is meant to describe the normative types, the flaws listed for INFPs are often more for describing low points in an otherwise "healthy" individual.

PersonalityPage lists "potential problem areas": http://www.personalitypage.com/html/INFP_per.html
SimilarMinds has a lot of negative qualities listed in its INFP description which might depict the less healthy side of the type: http://similarminds.com/jung/infp.html

I think enneagram does a better job of describing health levels of a type. If an INFP is a 4 or 9 (or some other type), it may affect how they "go bad" anyway.

Kevs

Post by Kevs » Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:34 pm

It is difficult to tease out unhealthy vs. healthy. So much of who we are is dynamic. Sometimes we need to go through a period of "unhealthiness" in order to reach health. How do we know that "health" isn't just some part of a larger area, that the larger society has deemed to be what is acceptable? Imagine being in a dark room and no one knows what is going on, but then someone flips on a flashlight and says, "look, it's the healthy part," and then everyone else agrees. The poor sap who takes up residence in areas where the light doesn't shine must continually struggle to thrive...by the time he/she crawls over to the light, it's been shone somewhere else...now suddenly those values over there are deemed to be "healthy," whereas the values that have been until late the focus of societies acceptance, are looked on with disapproval...

morningsea

Post by morningsea » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:02 pm

I think that infps are prone to an avoidance of any type of a conflict (unless it is about one's personal values) - seeking harmony being one of the characteristics of the type (but not at any cost). I would not consider this as unhealthy, but as a "weakness" of such specific type (each MBTI type has its own set of so called weaknesses). Working on such "weaknesses", makes a type somewhat more adjusted to what is considered "normal" to one's society norms. Being mentally unhealthy (e.g. not being able to cope with stress just one of the possibilities of what the society considers unhealthy, but there are many others) depends a lot on one's genes and even more so on one’s environment (having a dysfunctional childhood, being abused, having traumatic experiences where one is not able to defend oneself, and being consistently bullied and despised on the basis of some unchangeable characteristic). The physical changes of the brain as well as its neurotransmitters dysfunctions are well documented due to trauma - such factors could lead to inability to cope with stress, to be avoidant, to depend on someone else's opinions (unable to emotionally handle criticisms), etc...

Kevs

Post by Kevs » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:13 am

morningsea, immediately your post prompted a question...do you think that being INFP has some correlation with trauma? I swear I get people making remarks all the time about how easy it is for them to pick on me or some similar comment. I know that it just may be me, being all avoidant of conflict like I am. I think that I am avoidant of conflict, by the way, because I have found that sometimes I find myself backed into a corner and I can get kinda, well, you know...passionate. When I get emotional and passionate, it takes a while for me to return to baseline, I'm all stirred up and stuff...anyway, just curious...

morningsea

Post by morningsea » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Kevs wrote:morningsea, immediately your post prompted a question...do you think that being INFP has some correlation with trauma? I swear I get people making remarks all the time about how easy it is for them to pick on me or some similar comment. I know that it just may be me, being all avoidant of conflict like I am. I think that I am avoidant of conflict, by the way, because I have found that sometimes I find myself backed into a corner and I can get kinda, well, you know...passionate. When I get emotional and passionate, it takes a while for me to return to baseline, I'm all stirred up and stuff...anyway, just curious...
I do not think so! I mean a lot of kids/adults are getting abused these days (all MBTI types) either by a parent/partner, a familiar person, by peers, in the workplace (or any organization or an environment where bullying is not prevented or is accepted even as a norm). Trauma could be caused by external influences such as war, being assaulted by a robber, or any kind of things.

However, I think that I look vulnerable and by not defending myself on time (I call a bully to continue picking on me because he/she sees that as an invitation because most of bullies are cowards or have an agenda that will help them to get what they want without being hurt, and have fake sense of high self-esteem[changes and shifts easily from low to high) - it is easier to pick on those who seems vulnerable and quiet and whom they do not expect to defend themselves). Self-defense and dealing with conflict on time---something that one has to practice if not innate.
I guess I am afraid of getting on the same level of immoral, unethical, immature, aggressive, and explosive behavior or being unable to control my emotions (It did rarely happen when I had it up to my neck, but I always regretted it). This is because my emotions where building up in me and I would become eventually an emotional volcano that explodes when it is the worst possible moment to do so. It always comes from inability to deal with a conflict on time. I was also thought my whole life that (by parents and by church) that resistance is futile and unnecessary and even not spiritual (turn another cheek – now I have a bleeding cheek and heart).
The key is defending oneself without getting upset and lowering oneself to the same level as those who offend you as well as level practicing how to react in the ways that will cease their continuous bullying patterns such as a surprising intellectual analysis of their persona in a cold and collected manner, assertively telling them to stop and telling everything about them what their manipulated peers should hear but are not seeing a bully for who she or he really is (works for a faking nice/pretending/social/manipulative bully) aka exposing them to their peers (unobvious bullies are sometimes more dangerous than a stereotypical bully), finding something about them that they do not want to be exposed like telling them that you will report them to someone whom they fear (they only react in a retreating manner when they fear someone or something).
Putting on a rock solid facade not wearing a nice gal/boy vulnerability aura (being easily read) when in the vicinity of prospective bullies (unaffected, cold, and uncaring toward a bully - like they do not even matter or exist) - do not know how healthy this one is because of the pretense of being someone who you are not (painful to an INFP), but sometimes necessary to avoid an emotional and physical hurt till other coping mechanisms are developed (a therapy could help). This what I can think of right now and was advised to do by someone who actually knows this staff better than I do.

I hope this is somewhat helpful to you.