Family influence

All "personality theory" related topics can go here.
Morphinedreams
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): F

Family influence

Post by Morphinedreams » Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:01 pm

I grew up with three sisters. Later i've learned that the oldest one is INTJ, the second youngest INTP and the youngest ENTP. LOVELY mix. I was thinking about how I sometimes don't behave like INFP even though it's where i feel at home and wondered if it might be like that for other personality-types who grew up with siblings (they're close to and obliged to love and possibly admire). Of course it's not possible to cross-correlate (siblings vs no-s) without a person making an objective system outside of this so I'm just curious about how you think. Are there traits that doesn't "fit in" and could you derive them from someone else you've been "forced" to get along with. Is the chameleon/empath- ability also a tool to gain traits (strenghten your co-pilot) that doesn't come natural but makes you evolve? Other thoughts around family-constellation and your abilities?

BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ
Gender (M or F): M

Re: Family influence

Post by BabyDragon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:15 pm

Well, I used to test as ENTJ when I was younger and influenced by my ESTJ father and then I settled into INTJ I guess. Quite close to INTP since I get like 60% J and 40% P

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Tue Apr 17, 2018 10:17 pm

They say that INFPs can come off as cold hearted thinkers to strangers.

Morphinedreams

Post by Morphinedreams » Thu Apr 19, 2018 6:06 am

Cold hearted thinkers? I think "they" reply to people who don't care enough to listen and engage from another perspective :-). No but really, that would provide a reason why i don't sometimes feel like an infp when i obviously still behave like one. I love and can not help to put my self in orbit around someone elses and my own thinking. But if i do not yet trust i will look the door and talk through the mailbox ...if one has one on the door... One might not... That could be a problem ;).

How did your estj-parent affect you? It sounds hard actually...

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:40 am

Well, he's controlling and domineering. In the first years of my life I copied a lot of his behavior, I was more extroverted, grandiose, controlling, and later I figured out it's not cool to be like that, you have to let people breathe and be themselves.

Morphinedreams

Post by Morphinedreams » Sat Apr 21, 2018 5:10 pm

It does not sound easy, not at all. Not going to ask you what happened but to go from that... Do you believe it was your true functions that made the biggest pull? Like a necessity? But with help?

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:39 am

Not sure I understand the question. You mean like, extroverted thinking function?

synapser
MBTI type: INFJ

Post by synapser » Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:26 am

I probably always would have tested out as an INFP or INFJ. My family was hyper critical and I would not even consider asking them about their personality traits because they would become defensive about them and intractable about their own ability to change for the better. There behavior and interactions deeply set me in the mindset of being strange as an INFP. It contributes to my depression in many ways still, but occasionally I get relief by asserting independence and self reliance.