So like are INFPs stereotyped as being overly self focused?

All "personality theory" related topics can go here.
Ghostshadow
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): m

So like are INFPs stereotyped as being overly self focused?

Post by Ghostshadow » Sat May 20, 2017 12:09 am

Sorry, perhaps this should have been titled "Are INFPs stereotyped in a negative manner?

When I was younger, growing up and not the most well read or wordily and had much lower self esteem, I was often awash in a very negative emotional landscape and whilst maybe perhaps INFP's struggle with this a bit, or are more prone to suffer from dwelling or the like, but seriously when it comes to describing or typing individuals (famous or whoever have some sort of fame/notoriety and fictional characters) while it's not always the case, I find that quite often I think that if for say a character or a band writes music that's particularly focused on personal feelings and often only that and in regard to kind of common life experiences that people go through, and only the feelings in regards to their selves in those circumstances then they must be an INFP.

The thing is even though it's kind of taken quite often as the rule and often it's never really questioned and as well, no one will ever talk about it. For example, quite often Nick Cave, Elliot Smith, and Linkin Park are all typed as INFP's but I don't see that at all (I think, XSFP's, and Cave is like an XSJ), and what's more to add to my case but often times, I see lots of celebrities that are denied possibly even being an XNFP, but if they die or commit suicide at an early age or have an untimely death then it's: INFP, but I don't think it's true at all.

I was thinking artists and bands like Billie Joe Armstrong from Greenday, Matt Bellamy from Muse all could be XNFP's but everyone practically denies it,especially for reasons like, they seem too outgoing! Matt Bellamy SMILES sometimes when he talks to people : O
But yet, famous celebrities like Heath Ledger who were regarded often as very charismatic, and had good social skills, was outgoing (and smiled lots too, smiley smiley smiley( but yet was troubled, was considered a bit 'sensitive' to those who were closed to him and died young, so of course INFP.

Am I the only one who thinks that Fi, and especially XNFP's for example are not like this at all, and that Introverted feeling does not equal or equate to being overly self focused or dwelling? I think there's seriously some weird resentment towards it, and many other individual of different types often want to silence it or make it look back and I think this is a form of gas-lighting to make XNFP's not only feel bad about themselves, but to make them think that it's not a very useful or adequate type/function at all. I also think it's a subtle group minded effort to beguile and force XNFP's to not really use their main functions and attempt to focus on being "objective" all of the time and virtually not being INFP's to be honest. Which, I don't think really works because I imagine it just goes against our own nature, even though most other types do this much more easily (ignoring their true selves and inner values) sacrificing it all for the group mind instead and peer pressure/social acceptance.

Ghostshadow
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): m

Re: So like are INFPs stereotyped as being overly self focused?

Post by Ghostshadow » Sat May 20, 2017 12:21 am

To be fair, if an NF is not like that, they're pretty much universally considered an INTP, or INFJ, but never an INFP even if it's really debatable and just as likely to be that type. INFP's are all pretty much regarded as being stop in an overly subjective world of their own feelings, that doesn't really exist or make any sense, but like I think it's pretty much the opposite. For example, and unfortunately due to the ultimately death of Chris Cornell, I think that with him for example, he has well could have easily been an XNFP I believe. He seemed to always be searching and it was reflected in his lyrics. I believe that this as well must have been driven by an inner sense of ideals, but yes whatever, he's not stuck personally dealing with his own feelings in regards to how the rest of he world "just is" like in a sense, "poor little me, this isn't fair" that's basically I think the kind of perspective that's always stereotyped as how INFPs are, meanwhile I guess ISFPs are probably stereotyped as being mindless pretty much? lol, which is just as bad probably. I think the Chester from Linkin Park is totally an ISFP to be honest. (or ESFP) or like Nick Cave, everyone just unanimously thinks that's an INFP, but he doesn't seem like one at all. All of his songs revolve around murder or something for some reason, and i guess it's in regards to some metaphorical reason, but they're still very detailed, and story like and as well, he focuses on the past A LOT, and used to be very religious and still almost is sort of. He honestly reminds me sort like an ISTJ that has an artistic side. He focuses on the big picture, but only a little bit. It's like in all his lyrics, he's focusing on everyday experiences, and events, and how it all adds up to the bigger picture, but then as soon as they get to the bigger picture they just stop, and that's like sensing to me. And as well, he just make leaps or jumps and isn't all that abstract. How the hell is that an INFP!!?? He just reminds me seriously of so much of SJT's that I've known.

I don't think Linkin Park is actually that abstract or metaphorical at all and they have always sort of taken from whatever is hip or in style right now as far as pop culture goes and Chester writes a lot of lyrics about personal feelings, but in regards to life experiences that most people go through and are kind of practical and straight forward like that and he speaks and sings from a universal perspective, like "we all have felt or gone through this, we all feel this way and it's okay" but he never touches on abstract or universal concepts at all, it's usually kind of the same thing.

"guilty by association" see, it's a lot more straight forward and grounded. I wouldn't say per-say it's a metaphor is it? it's more like a title or a description.Their lyrics are almost like stories, and the personal feeling that one feels going through them and the experience.