A few general suggestions

Something needs fixing or improving?
Faby
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): M

A few general suggestions

Post by Faby » Sun Dec 26, 2010 10:19 am

Hi =D

I'm pretty new around here, as many of you probably know. Despite that, I'm starting to like this place. This forum lacks the highbrow, cynical aura that's about many a forum these days. As such, it's a bit unpleasant to see that there are so few people online here. So I've made a small list of suggestions.

I really hope they don't come out as sounding all-knowing, condescending, arrogant, or stuff like that.

I'm familiar with forums that are just starting out. I've had 3 forums over 4 years or so, and I know what highs and lows one should expect, and how to counteract them.

1. People are generally quiet and shy at the beginning. That's why the staff should usually start with the threads. After several months of this, users slowly start to realise that people aren't there to devour them, and will make threads of their own.

2. Less subforums. Keep only the basic ones. One for introductions, one for suggestions/announcements, about two for non-psychology related forums, and about the same for psychology related ones. Merge the Lounge, Arts and Entertainment, and Health and Fitness into one. Unite Society and Current Events. The same with Relationships and Emotional Advice. So on, so forth. This is only temporary, though. Once the subforums are brimming with topics of a certain category (like books/films/music in the Lounge), you can split them again.

3. Though it helps with accommodating new users, one should keep the game threads in check. There must be a lot of forums out there based on MBTI profiles, so one should strive to create something original. Originality comes from interesting, thought-provoking threads. Game threads, albeit necessary and helpful in their own way, don't do much to add a spark of uniqueness to a place.

4. A non-default forum theme. It avails the aforementioned originality problem. It's not hard to change the colour scheme of a forum, and make new buttons. I've never skinned a phpBB2 forum (my experience lies in MyBB and SMF), but I doubt it's very different.

That's pretty much all. Once again, I hope that doesn't sound too demanding or arrogant. These are just some small observations I've collected over my time as both administrator and normal user. I hope they help :)

BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ

Re: A few general suggestions

Post by BabyDragon » Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I'll start with adding new topics.

I'm not very artistic visually so anything I change with the buttons would look retarded. I'll try finding some good themes later.

I should have gone with MyBB. It seems to have more features and looks better, but now it's too late. Maybe the users and posts can be ported into MyBB but I don't know how and don't want to brake anything.

The only thing I don't agree with is making less subforums and then later making more subforums. That would require a huge amount of work (when we have more topics they would all have to be moved) and I don't think it would help much.

EDIT: I actually merged the Relationships and emotional support subforums. That was a good idea. ;)

Faby

Post by Faby » Sun Dec 26, 2010 8:53 pm

BabyDragon wrote: I should have gone with MyBB. It seems to have more features and looks better, but now it's too late. Maybe the users and posts can be ported into MyBB but I don't know how and don't want to brake anything.
Well, I don't know if there is a phpbb2 to MyBB port system, but I do know there is one for phbb3. You could upgrade and then convert.

And it's not like anything bad can happen if there are backups. 600 posts doesn't take that much in terms of space.

Faby

Post by Faby » Sun Dec 26, 2010 9:20 pm

Here you go, this should be relevant:

http://www.mybb.com/downloads/merge-system

boredToDeath

Post by boredToDeath » Thu Dec 30, 2010 8:48 pm

About that the forum is quiet...(uhh..don't beat me up or anything :P)...but isn't it really nice like this, being quiet and calm and all??

Or maybe I'm too introverted :P
Life is a comedy to those who think and a tragedy to those who feel.

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:00 pm

I think we'll move to MyBB cause it's more awesome but I have to learn all the ins and outs first. I don't have much time.

Faby

Post by Faby » Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:30 am

It's really straightforward. I've seen how clumsy and tangled up phpBB's admin panel is. MyBB's a breeze.

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Fri Dec 31, 2010 11:01 am

Yeah, it's simple and plugins are 10 times easier to install but I have to test everything out cause I want SEO links and a couple of other cool plugins to work. And I have to read the instructions for porting the users and posts from phpbb. We'll see in the next year :)