Welcome to the Jungle

Tell us about yourself...
MoneyJungle
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): M

Welcome to the Jungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 3:05 am

Hi everybody!

28 year old INFP here. My interests include music (all kinds. a little guitar playing almost daily), film, comics (both serious business and superhero schlock), jogging (fairly newfound addiction), old school Final Fantasy games, watching sports, cooking and a host of other rotating miscellaneous debris I read about on wikipedia. I'm an agnostic (raised Lutheran, bounced around denominations until about a year ago).

I feel a bit naked without an avatar. I looked around for a couple minutes but just got too excited about this forum's existence and had to post right away. Am I missing something?

I'm fairly reclusive. I like the library a lot. I love my family. I love Sacramento, California (and live there... or is it here). I used to be in the Navy (how's having served on the USS Enterprise for geek cred?). I'm generally apolitical (or just a cynic when it comes to the political arena). I'm proud to be an INFP and haven't cried in a movie in at least a few days. I'm a below average speller and apologize in advance. Questions?

BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ

Re: Welcome to the Jungle

Post by BabyDragon » Sun Nov 28, 2010 8:33 am

An INFP in the Navy?

That's sounds like a good movie title. How did you end up there?

Anyway, welcome to the forum, it's nice to have you here.

October
Gender (M or F): F

Post by October » Sun Nov 28, 2010 9:56 am

hey Jungle, welcome to the borads. :) Make yourself at home.

Seems like we have a lot of common interests.

What comics do you like, specifically? :)
(I, personally, have a great fondness for Calvin and Hobbes. Hence the avatar. :) )
When I let go of what I am, I become what i might be.

Pam

Post by Pam » Sun Nov 28, 2010 1:47 pm

What kind of sports do you watch?
Site about the istp personality: http://www.istps.com/

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:42 pm

BabyDragon wrote:An INFP in the Navy?

That's sounds like a good movie title. How did you end up there?

Anyway, welcome to the forum, it's nice to have you here.
I was in culinary school and had taken all the fun classes. I wanted to see the world. I needed a job. It was pretty much a disaster from the word go. I never got used to getting yelled at. I sort of expected I would turn into this highly motivated ISTJ drone and obviously life doesn't work that way. I had some good times and made a few friends but I felt overwhelmingly like a fish out of water. There was some personal growth over a few years, but I would have grown personally regardless of what I was doing in my early twenties.
October wrote:hey Jungle, welcome to the borads. :) Make yourself at home.

Seems like we have a lot of common interests.

What comics do you like, specifically? :)
(I, personally, have a great fondness for Calvin and Hobbes. Hence the avatar. :) )
My love for comics all started with the funnies. I really respect Bill Waterston for his unwillingness to merchandise C & H (not that I'm always against merchandising so much as always for integrity). I still read the funnies just about every day (my all time fave was the Far Side).

As for my recent favorites, I love Harvey Pekar's American Splendor. My favorite writer right now is Jeff Lemire. My favorite artists are Crumb, John Cassady, John Byrne and Frank Quitely. I'm not extremely discriminating, though. I'm mostly a DC guy.

I use thw word "hence" often.

*makes self at hoam*
Pam wrote:What kind of sports do you watch?
Hmmmm. I'll watch the playoffs of just about anything. I prefer amatuer athletics. My favorite is probably college football (although they don't have a playoff). Amatuers tend to have joy in playing and don't come across to me as jaded like pros often do. My favorite sporting events are probably the Summer Oympics and the FIFA World Cup.

BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ

Post by BabyDragon » Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:20 pm

MoneyJungle wrote:My favorite sporting events are probably the Summer Oympics and the FIFA World Cup.
Another football fan, that's great. I'm crazy about football like most Europeans. Do you watch the Champions League maybe?

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:25 am

BabyDragon wrote:
MoneyJungle wrote:My favorite sporting events are probably the Summer Oympics and the FIFA World Cup.
Another football fan, that's great. I'm crazy about football like most Europeans. Do you watch the Champions League maybe?
I watch sporadically. It isn't televised all that much where I live. I'm more of fan of international play than club play. Feels like there is more on the line.

Tocade
MBTI type: INxP

Post by Tocade » Wed Dec 01, 2010 9:42 am

Welcome!
I'm proud to be an INFP and haven't cried in a movie in at least a few days.
I only cry in movies when alone. Though once alone, all is required is a sad music and a mildly sad scene. I fall for everything, despite being aware of the obvious trap.

MoneyJungle

Post by MoneyJungle » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:08 pm

Tocade wrote:Welcome!
I'm proud to be an INFP and haven't cried in a movie in at least a few days.
I only cry in movies when alone. Though once alone, all is required is a sad music and a mildly sad scene. I fall for everything, despite being aware of the obvious trap.
I'm almost always alone at the movies. Waaaaa!

sometimesclever

Post by sometimesclever » Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:37 pm

lol, I'm basically paraphrasing you, but:
MoneyJungle wrote:My interests include [...] jogging. I'm an agnostic. I used to be in the Navy. I'm fairly reclusive. I'm generally apolitical.
-Yay! A fellow jogger! I love to jog, but unfortunately haven't had the time to go lately. Everything just seems so much clearer after a jog *hooked on endorphins*
-I'm agnostic too! I think I might have been raised Lutheran as well. Some form of non-Catholic Christianity.
-My parents were (both) in the Navy, so, I know the lifestyle and boy do I know it well. lol. I feel for you.
-I'm also pretty reclusive. Undoubtedly an INFP trait, but I can't help but to wonder whether or not being told to practice good OPSEC or risk being kidnapped and tortured for valuable military information doesn't play a role in opening up to strangers...
-I'm also fairly apolitical, outside of social issues (which I feel strongly about and give me a democratic taint). But more than once I've had to balance a sort of optimism with realism when it comes to local and national politics. It is what it is, sometimes.

I'm pretty much a clone of you from a parallel universe or something, lol. But (belated) welcome to the forum! What are some of your favorite dishes? - Or rather - the ones you're most proud of making? There's a certain level of amazement and pride that goes into the culinary arts. Since I've been "cooking" for myself for the past two years, the level of amazement and pride that goes into my dishes has kind of...disappeared, entirely, lol.

Hobo stew for the win.