Culture of fear

What's happening on this little pale blue dot of ours...
synapser
MBTI type: INFJ
Gender (M or F): M

Culture of fear

Post by synapser » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:13 pm

How has the current culture of fear in America effected your life?

For me it has been a focus of my depression and detriment to my ability to feel satisfied in my life. When our country fails to follow it's own laws, as it did with the last supreme court justice and in the behavior of our commander in chief, I get very disillusioned about the potential requirement for me to obtain national and state licenses to advance my career. I ask myself, why should I seek the approval of a corrupt and tyrannical government to tell me I have permission to do something? It holds me back.

I'm not that afraid of what could happen to me. This bold lack of fear for my own life comes with the knowledge that I have systematically and repeatedly lost the part of my life that I valued most with a annual regularity. If I am to learn from experience this will continue to ruin my career and relationships. So I don't lock the door at night and hope that someone shortens my life for me. However, the fear and responsibility to protect those I care about in a culture such as ours leads me to frustration and anger with myself about not being able to promote diplomacy, forgiveness, and cooperation in our communities.

BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ

Re: Culture of fear

Post by BabyDragon » Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:53 pm

I don't live in USA, but I can notice that the country has become more polarized than ever. People aren't thinking rationally. Herd mentality.

synapser

Post by synapser » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:05 pm

BabyDragon wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:53 pm
I don't live in USA, but I can notice that the country has become more polarized than ever. People aren't thinking rationally. Herd mentality.
I've noticed that Americans seem particularly prone to heard mentality. I think it probably is related to our exceptional instant gratification environment. The polarization is apparent to me two. I like the lyric "we can fight a war for peace" from Portugal the Man's song rebel just for kicks, to instantly gratify my own frustration with the ongoing violence and polarization. Then I try to remember I'm not the typical American who demands satisfaction right now.

Has Americans irrational thinking and Herd mentality had an impact on your life?

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:43 pm

No it hasn't, although I'm a big fan of America. I just think that the two party system you have is dumb. Why not have more relevant parties like other countries? Not even the libertarians can ever get out of the fringe and become relevant. They always get like 5% of votes maximum.

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:46 pm

And I'll never understand why a person who is pro lgbt also has to be anti gun rights, or why a person who is pro gun rights also has to be a climate change denier. It seems like people just pick up all their opinions from the party they belong to, without any personal introspection and investigation. I like people who come to their own conclusions, and those usually end up being libertarians, but even among them there are many crackpots, doomsday preppers, conspiracy theorists... not a lot of real healthy free thinkers out there overall.

synapser

Post by synapser » Wed Mar 28, 2018 4:53 am

I also don't understand why the two party system has survived as long as it has. People don't seem to vote their actual positions on issues anymore and are simply satisfied to subscribe to a pre-determined platform of ideas. The herd mentality is disgusting. It also frustrates me that this is the case in a country that has a reputation for freedom. I've no place to vote my position because this system does not work anymore. I remember being taught that functionally third parties in our politics have been places where votes were cast to simply detract from the two party system that has historically been the controlling political opposition. It's a concept that dooms us to only ever having two choices.

I'm pro-choice, anti-censorship, pro civil rights in all its beautiful diversity, believe the international committee on climate change reports, favor single payer healthcare, fiscal conservative, and want our rights to speedy trials. Gun rights are a complicated issue for us right now from my perspective. Primarily because I support revolution right now. Although, I favor change through non-violent means, I recognize that historically that rarely happens. So from my perspective the right for the population to maintain a well armed militia is important. I also think we've become far to quick to call the perpetrators of violent crime mentally ill. Our culture pushes people into the corners where they feel like they have no other action left to them to express themselves. I guess I'm a realistic optimist about the gun issue. I hope civil war is not necessary to implement a system that represents the freedom, liberty, and quality of life expected by the US population; but I recognize that it probably will be necessary to implement a government that represents it's populace and functions effectively in the modern and globalized world.