Tragedies

What's happening on this little pale blue dot of ours...
Entity
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): M

Tragedies

Post by Entity » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:09 pm

Due to recent attacks in Paris, people have been changing their profile pictures to show support, posting on social media, etc. But as the man in the video puts it, we need to care about each other ALL the time, not just when major tragedies happen. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5DJX8UAbsIY Also, we could use this thread for posts about tragedies yet to come.

crow
MBTI type: INFJ

Re: Tragedies

Post by crow » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:24 pm

People are displaying how much they care, to others, for increased social stature. But they are generally incapable of caring about anything but themselves.
If you care, you care. Making a visible display of it accomplishes nothing except the reinforcement of the idea that the appearance of something is more important than the thing itself.
Evil people kill each other all the time. This is why civilizations are sought after, constructed and maintained. To keep the evil out. But civilizations become comfortable places that cause people to soon forget why civilization is important, and so they start inviting evil into it, for the sake of 'fairness' which is a fantasy dreamed up by the human ego, and does not exist in Reality.
With the result that the civilization is destroyed.
Last edited by crow on Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Entity

Post by Entity » Mon Nov 16, 2015 11:15 pm

I really do fear for the citizens of France and other places, because I've never known a horror nearly as grave, and I imagine it's terrible knowing that your community could be the next Ground Zero. I didn't change my photo when gay marriage was passed theprough the Supreme Court, though I'm very happy for those who can now wed. I'll mention France in a real conversation, because talking actually means something.
"A penny saved is a penny you keep." -Me

BabyDragon
Site Admin
MBTI type: INTJ

Post by BabyDragon » Tue Nov 17, 2015 1:49 am

I come from Bosnia, which has about half Muslim population. I'm from a Muslim family but I'm an atheist. You wouldn't believe it but some Muslims in my country are trying to downplay this event. They're mentioning western imperialism, jew conspiracies, Palestine, why the world cares more for French victims than those in Lebanon or Egypt... IT'S BECAUSE WE'RE SCARED FOR FREEDOM YOU IDIOTS. Deaths in a war situation like in the Middle East aren't shocking anymore. They happen to often. Carnages in peaceful liberty loving Paris are shocking. Deal with it, islam terrorism apologists.

And also this happened on tonights Ireland vs Bosnia game: https://amp.twimg.com/v/2cb3902c-712d-4 ... b3fe16c951

Ruining a minute of silence by shouting PALESTINE? Some people in my country are real imbeciles.

crow

Post by crow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:14 am

Interesting. A Bosnian might be a little more experienced in Reality than the average pampered, experience-challenged Westerner.
In the West, fuzzy love-everybody fantasies rule, while elsewhere, real life plays out.
Leftism will either be eradicated from its carriers, or its diseased hosts will.

Entity

Post by Entity » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:34 am

You're probably right, crow. One of my wishes in life is to gain experiences that'll help me learn many sides of many situations. At the moment, due to my youth and luck, I don't have near the amount of knowledge that my elders have. You know, you've really helped me see a new perspective. I'm thankful for that. :)

crow

Post by crow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 2:47 am

Whatever gets you by.
The thing is, though, to be able to see things accurately, for yourself. It usually gets easier with age, but there's nothing to stop a young person from being able to do it, other than wishing for things to be the way they should be, rather than the way things are.

I remember being young, but for me, young didn't last long. It lasts many people their entire lives, though, and growing up is something they never experience.
It's probably comforting, in a way, to be an eternal adolescent, but the shock of Reality suddenly - unexpectedly - breaking down the door, can be fatal.

If you want a useful philosophy, consider this:
The world is perfect; it's humans that are not. Which do you value more? The world, or the world of people?
Take your pick. You'll find the two are mutually exclusive.

potatotoro
Gender (M or F): F

Post by potatotoro » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:23 pm

What this guy is saying is kind of obvious.
Of course we should always be kind, always help others, always treat them the way we want to be treated, but that's impossible.
No one can always be like that.
Take this guy for instance, he wouldn't have made this video telling people to care and pray for all the people who are suffering in the world a week ago.He wasn't thinking about that stuff then.(i mean, he could have been but i doubt it)
and so what if people are putting frances flag as their profile on facebook.They know it's not saving lives, but maybe it's comforting to those in france to have people from all over the world showing their support, even if it is in such a small way.

This guy getting mad about people not caring all the time, for only caring now.
So, in a way, he's getting mad at people for.... caring?
Yes, some people will forget about this in a week or two but at least they genuinely cared, maybe they even did something to help while the hype lasted. It's better then nothing.

To quote the great Tennessean philosopher hannah montana, "nobody's perfect".
We might as well appreciate all the charity and support that's going around instead of bashing the people who aren't always charitable.

Entity

Post by Entity » Tue Nov 17, 2015 4:44 pm

Yeah, that makes sense.

crow

Post by crow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:07 pm

potatotoro wrote: We might as well appreciate all the charity and support that's going around instead of bashing the people who aren't always charitable.

We might be better advised to appreciate all the charity and support that's going around by seeing it for what it is, rather than seeing it as charity and support.

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:19 pm

Well said potatotoro. This explains the hypocrisy:

You don't get to tell other people which country they should care about. It's a private thing. I care more about my mom then some guy in Lebanon. Sorry, that's how human connection works.

crow

Post by crow » Tue Nov 17, 2015 7:30 pm

Golly! A sane human. That's not something you see every day :)
Especially when it's a forum admin.

BabyDragon
Site Admin

Post by BabyDragon » Wed Nov 18, 2015 12:51 am

And now in Nigeria there's an attack. Looks like we're gonna need this site: http://allflags.world/

They all have the religion of peace in common (this in Nigeria is 99% Boko Haram just waiting for the confirmation), but lets talk about how we didn't remember Beirut. Guess who did the attacks in Beirut? Islamic State again. And tomorrow I'll be forced to change the flag again. Maybe Somalia? Who knows. Will that be the fault of the West?

potatotoro
Gender (M or F): F

Post by potatotoro » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:23 am

We might be better advised to appreciate all the charity and support that's going around by seeing it for what it is, rather than seeing it as charity and support.
what do you think it is?

crow

Post by crow » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:46 am

I don't think it's anything. It's as fake and contrived and selfish and shortsighted as just about everything else that people do.
Charity isn't the problem. People are the problem. They'd do a lot better being charitable towards the natural environment, and making do with far, far less.