Rough. Intellectually inclined. But definitely an INFP

Off-topic discussions and other topics that can't fit anywhere else
Healer379
MBTI type: Infp
Gender (M or F): F

Rough. Intellectually inclined. But definitely an INFP

Post by Healer379 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 3:26 am

Hi everyone, I'm new here.

I'm just wondering about the INFP although I'm pretty positive I am one (based on process of elimination plus on our function sequence).

Two things.
1) what is your intelligence level? In a very basic sense, do people assume or think that you're smart?
2) are you all really gentle? I know about 4 other INFP women my age, and they're all really, really sweet and soft.
I am totally not that way. Unless somebody looks like they need support, I'm kind of rough. Does that mean I'm missing something/unhealthy, and if yes, which function is responsible for that?
All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost.

crow
MBTI type: INFJ
Gender (M or F): M

Re: Rough. Intellectually inclined. But definitely an INFP

Post by crow » Sun Sep 27, 2015 6:08 am

Good heavens! You are different to others? Outrageous!
TBH, everyone is different to anybody else. Equality is non-existent in all the universe, with the single exception of whatever it is that goes on inside the human mind.
Personality is something that can be changed at will. Very few traits are permanently hard-wired into anybody.
I may test, for example, INFJ, but I can also be almost anything else, depending on what has just been going on before taking the test.
Of course, since I am nominally INFJ, I don't really belong here at all, but INFPs, being so tolerant and generous, allow me space to do my thing.
In fact, this forum is the only personality forum I have not (yet) been banned from.
Makes you wonder <:)

Entity
MBTI type: INFP

Post by Entity » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:19 pm

You can be a rough INFP. I'm usually wisecracking and teasing my good friends, despite my NF nature. I don't think there's a problem with you, you're just different. We all are. My intelligence level is above average, and people always assume me and my INTP brother to be the 'smart ones'. That means that you have to meet expectations of being the top of the class, homework-loving guy. Which is untrue, even more so for me. I haven't taken an IQ test since third grade, but I've always been sharp. Note: I'm not trying to brag. I hate bragging. And welcome!
"A penny saved is a penny you keep." -Me

Healer379

Post by Healer379 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:46 pm

Mmm. Cool! Thanks guys!

So, what is with the stereotype INFP of teddy bears and rainbows... And that we're too sensitive to emotions to think logically.

Unless... We all function through Fi dom Ne Si Te but some have developed their Si/Te.. ?

That would be ... Except I'm more sensitive now than I ever was. So my TJ ness can't really be from development..

Healer379

Post by Healer379 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:51 pm

Unless.... This just occurred to me... If it can come from the Ne which adapts personality or info from external sources.

Most of the people I'm close with and in my immediate personal life, are TJs.

What do you all think?

Entity

Post by Entity » Sun Sep 27, 2015 12:59 pm

I don't know why that's the stereotype, but I do love teddy bears and other cute things. I definitely think logically, but I also give my emotions a say. And sometimes, my logic gets clouded by feelings. That's just nature. Stereotypes are often wrong. I have a huge NT environment, because my mom and older brother are INTJs and my twin an INTP. I think that's how I came to embrace science, logic, and proper syntax. I'm not sure about the Ne thing, because I don't study too much of the functions.

Riverbed

Post by Riverbed » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:07 pm

Healer379 wrote:Unless.... This just occurred to me... If it can come from the Ne which adapts personality or info from external sources.

Most of the people I'm close with and in my immediate personal life, are TJs.

What do you all think?

Wow. Been wondering that for a while.
Makes a lot of sense, although I have had an inferiority complex for a long time because of that - that whole issue of, I'm not acting like myself..
Until I realized I am acting like myself, I just choose what that self is based on off of external data.

Riverbed

Post by Riverbed » Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:12 pm

crow wrote: Personality is something that can be changed at will. Very few traits are permanently hard-wired into anybody.
I may test, for example, INFJ, but I can also be almost anything else, depending on what has just been going on before taking the test.
Interesting. Are you aware of the functions of each type? We can pretend to be anything, but to change the way we work takes an extraordinary amount of effort and time...

crow

Post by crow » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:55 pm

Riverbed wrote:Interesting. Are you aware of the functions of each type? We can pretend to be anything, but to change the way we work takes an extraordinary amount of effort and time...
No, I am not especially knowledgeable about these things. One thing I do know: I do not pretend. Unless I am specifically clowning around, which I do a lot of.
The extraordinary amount of effort you speak of, is only the case when we cling to an identity of which we are proud.
Note that I am a crow. I am not even human. I discarded human identity many years ago. This works so well, for me, that I can now be anything, any time.
The only thing I am no longer able to be, is dishonest.

This, of course, can be arduous, in a seriously dishonest human world :)

Entity

Post by Entity » Sun Sep 27, 2015 4:57 pm

I'm only dishonest when I'm ashamed of myself for doing the wrong thing. Or when I have secrets to protect. I try to make sure my dishonesty affects no one. Unfortunately, it usually affects me.

Healer379

Post by Healer379 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:03 pm

A crow:) that's interesting.
I have a few theories about INFJs actually. Not for this post, but it kinda fits in with the way I understand them, that you chose to discard human limitation. Good for you!

Honesty... Definitely the most liberating of virtues, in my opinion. And its true.. No one cares about my dishonesty more than I do.

crow

Post by crow » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:10 pm

Great post, Healer :)

Healer379

Post by Healer379 » Sun Sep 27, 2015 5:34 pm

Anytime;)
We'll take you as you come. Crow and all