Your concepts of time and space

Off-topic discussions and other topics that can't fit anywhere else
dreamsandbones
MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): f

Your concepts of time and space

Post by dreamsandbones » Fri Sep 18, 2015 7:38 pm

OK, this sounds like a heavy topic, and it's something that's hard to put into words, but I am really curious how other people experience these concepts.

Here's a little of my view of time: I feel like it is like moving water, washing over me, or coming towards me, like the current of a river. It is always moving, but it moves faster or slower depending how I am experiencing it. I used to be really confused, and sometimes still am, when someone says something like, *Let's move that meeting back...", because "back" , to me, means backwards in time, towards the past, therefore closer to where we are now, meaning the meeting is sooner, closer to today. But what people mean when they say "move a meeting back" is move it away from the time now, away from us, i.e., later in time.

Is this even worth talking about? I have other personal images and ideas for time: two years make an oval track in my mind, for example.

I really want to know your mental imagery and thinking on this.

crow
MBTI type: INFJ
Gender (M or F): M

Re: Your concepts of time and space

Post by crow » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:04 pm

Having a concept of time and space really does you no favors. As soon as you turn these things into abstract representations within your mind, you are that much further away from natural integration within them.
I learned from a crow, that the way to really live life is to become time and space, rather than do what humans do, and exist outside, seeing these things as external effects.
Further: I have experienced all of time as the same moment, which is not something the living normally do. All of time, space, life, is now. Only humans have the unfortunate capacity to separate it all into disconnected fragments, measured by mechanical ticks and tocks.

Strangely, perhaps, I seem to exist somewhere between a half second and a second and a half into the future. Which translates to others as my appearing to be the fastest human alive. I can react almost before the event I am reacting to.

All of this is down to awareness. Indeed, I have noticed that 'now' to me, is not 'now' to others. In fact, 'now' seems not to exist at all for most people.

Interesting topic, you have brought up :)

Entity
MBTI type: INFP

Post by Entity » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:07 pm

I usually think of the science side of the universe, then add a hippie twist with the whole 'one with the universe' and 'the way of the universe' stuff.
"A penny saved is a penny you keep." -Me

dreamsandbones

Post by dreamsandbones » Fri Sep 18, 2015 8:52 pm

You see, these are not contrived or invented images or concepts, they are just there in my mind. One day I heard someone say they saw time as little containers to be filled, and I suddenly realized that that wasn't at all how I experienced it.

When I say space, I'm thinking more of concrete space rather than the universe. But the universe, and what's beyond it, that makes me dizzy and weightless.

crow

Post by crow » Fri Sep 18, 2015 9:01 pm

Have you ever considered space/the universe as not something "out there", but as you, and you it?

dreamsandbones

Post by dreamsandbones » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:39 am

No. Part of those things, being immersed of them, born of them, yes.

There are many angles to these ideas, space and time, and they are bigger than any one viewpoint. That's why I'm curious. I'm not looking for an answer or the answer, just different angles. The questions are more important to me than any answer.

I remember one day when I was walking to calculus class,(and I am no mathematician), thinking about math in general, and for one brief flash, the whole wonder of an incomprehensible universe was clear and certain as a drop of water. I shivered with the realization. Then the moment was gone, and I was left with the memory of that moment for the experience that it was, even though its revelation was gone in a flash.

crow

Post by crow » Sat Sep 19, 2015 2:57 am

Questions get you nowhere. Answers are no better. Living life without either one, is living.
Irrational? Illogical? Nonsensical? You bet!
Stow the mind and start to live.

dreamsandbones

Post by dreamsandbones » Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:36 am

crow wrote:Questions get you nowhere. Answers are no better. Living life without either one, is living.
Irrational? Illogical? Nonsensical? You bet!
Stow the mind and start to live.
You just gave an answer.

crow

Post by crow » Sat Sep 19, 2015 4:08 am

You have to ask a question to get an answer. You didn't ask one, so that was not an answer.
But answers are my stock in trade, so I tend to do it without realizing.
More a statement, really.

potatotoro
Gender (M or F): F

Post by potatotoro » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:38 am

i guess i think of time as sort of a wheel that gets more and more worn out with each rotation.
Last edited by potatotoro on Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Entity

Post by Entity » Sun Sep 20, 2015 1:39 am

I need to find my time metaphor, these are all really interesting.
"A penny saved is a penny you keep." -Me