What have you learned today?

Off-topic discussions and other topics that can't fit anywhere else
crow
MBTI type: INFJ
Gender (M or F): M

Re: What have you learned today?

Post by crow » Wed Jun 29, 2016 3:59 pm

Those aren't crows. Look like cowbirds, to me.
No self-respecting crow would stand on another crow's head :)

Entity
MBTI type: INFP

Post by Entity » Wed Jun 29, 2016 8:09 pm

I have been deceived.
"A penny saved is a penny you keep." -Me

crow

Post by crow » Wed Jun 29, 2016 9:56 pm

Get used to it. It is the way of modern man.

Entity

Post by Entity » Thu Jun 30, 2016 2:19 am

I think deception was always part of humanity. Without it, we would be killed off by the rest of the group, or even killed by the very creature we bothered not to deceive. (Put simply, lying is a tactic that keeps us alive, so I think I have no choice but to get used to it)

crow

Post by crow » Thu Jun 30, 2016 3:53 am

Your youth shows. When I was young, people lied, but not as a matter of course, and not everybody did it.
Blame the rise of atheism, as the prime cause, along with left-wing ideology and its attendant epidemic of insecurity.

I can categorically state that lying is extremely counterproductive, in the long term, although few realize it, and will find themselves unable to do anything else.
The day I decided to abandon dishonesty was the day my entire existence changed.
Highly, highly recommended.

Entity

Post by Entity » Thu Jun 30, 2016 4:31 pm

Are you sure that so few people lied in your day? Human nature seems to be the one thing that hasn't changed drastically. I can't really tell what thinggs were like in the past, because you were there, and not me, but I don't think that lying could have sprung up so easily by the actions of certain people. Politicians and leaders have always lied. However, I do understand why you would dislike the left side of the current establishment. I'm fine with being socially liberal as long as one doesn't forego equality for revenge. (i.e. the radical feminists who have gone so far in their attempt to gain legal equality that they want to emasculate all men, or particular people of color who are so bitter over their prior treatment that they take to hating whites). I'm curious as to how atheism brought the lying epidemic, because usually, atheists focus on what they see and know. Like, how they dwell more on scientific discovery than the potential existence of a higher being. I don't exactly know much of this, because I'm not an atheist.

crow

Post by crow » Thu Jun 30, 2016 5:01 pm

Reverence for God formed a baseline for any and all human behavior. The commandments informed every Christian. Thou shalt not bear false witness, so most people didn't, and only a few did when they figured God wasn't looking.
Take God out of the formula, and there remains no reason to not do anything you feel like doing.
Lying for perceived advantage is an obvious course.

Except it doesn't work. It does deep damage, usually unnoticed by the liar. The overall result is a life that diverges from Reality, and so it doesn't work.
Banish lying, and you get back on course, in line, and oriented with the flow of Reality. Your life works.

Try it. You'll be amazed.

crow

Post by crow » Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:15 pm

I learned, today, for the hundredth-thousandth time, that a good night's sleep does more for my general well-being than any other single thing.
Overnight, I went from being a total mess, to feeling thoroughly euphoric.
The older you get, the more obvious this becomes.
The young may safely ignore this, for a while...