Languages

Off-topic discussions and other topics that can't fit anywhere else
potatotoro
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): F

Re: Languages

Post by potatotoro » Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:59 am

thats so cool!my parents got me a quill pen and some ink when they went to italy it's really fun to write with as well....though i don't really get much chance to use it. it must be super hard to learn how to write in chinese, i think i read somewhere that they had over 4,000 characters.

dreamsandbones
MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): f

Post by dreamsandbones » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:21 pm

potatotoro wrote:thats so cool!my parents got me a quill pen and some ink when they went to italy it's really fun to write with as well....though i don't really get much chance to use it. it must be super hard to learn how to write in chinese, i think i read somewhere that they had over 4,000 characters.
There was a Chinese woman in one of my French classes who explained a little how the characters work. There is the symbol for say, "silk", then little bits are added to that symbol to change the meaning to "silk worm" or "silk cloth" or "silky." There are lots of different characters, but many are linked in this way. I find it fascinating.

The movie "Brush Dance" was so much about how the calligrapher moved her brush. Because of the nature of the brush and the flow of the ink, she had to choreograph her movements in time to make the visual results correct and graceful. It was as if the characters on the paper really were the tracings of a kind of dance.

Abm94
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): F

Post by Abm94 » Sun May 20, 2018 1:39 am

Anyone else seem to be like naturally gifted at speaking/learning a foreign language?? I am a Spanish interpreter and a ton of my clients think I am from Latin America or Spain because I sound identical to a native. I took Spanish starting in 6th grade but i honestly remember it just coming to me, like i had been born understanding it. I know that sounds weird, but i swear I think it’s an INFP thing! I read that somewhere too and I was like woah that is freakishly SPOT ON!