Languages

Off-topic discussions and other topics that can't fit anywhere else
FiNe SiTe
MBTI type: INFP
Gender (M or F): M

Re: Languages

Post by FiNe SiTe » Tue Dec 28, 2010 2:14 am

I don't know any languages outside of English, but I do hope in the future to teach myself German, Japanese or French.

ambi
MBTI type: infp
Gender (M or F): f

Post by ambi » Tue Dec 28, 2010 11:40 am

i can only speak english too. all these other languages just get me all tongue tied

Entity

Post by Entity » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:16 pm

With speaking, I know English and Castellano (Latin American Spanish dialect). Technically, I have two "first languages", because my first word was likely "no". Since I can comprehend Spanish, I have an eye for vaguely interpreting Latin-based languages. When I actually speak i Spanish, it's choppy and weird, because I don't know how to say what to say. I like Castellano better than Mexican Spanish because "yo" is pronounced "sho", and that sounds a lot better to me. I may want to learn french or some other European language, but not Chinese because of its shocking difficulty.
"A penny saved is a penny you keep." -Me

potatotoro
Gender (M or F): F

Post by potatotoro » Wed Aug 12, 2015 6:32 pm

i only know english which i'm kinda bummed about because both my parents (and three of my older siblings) know how to speak french, but when we moved to the U.S i guess they were more focused on making sure we all learned how to speak english then we all still knew how to speak french. i was barely a year old when we moved from canada though, so i never spoke french anyway but still :(
it's cool that you know how to speak castellano/spanish whatever it is.were you born in the U.S or somewhere else?

Entity

Post by Entity » Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:16 pm

I was born in Florida to Argentine parents. My dad was born to American missionaries and my mom to Argentines. I'm still white, because Argentina is European-white. So half Argentine, half American.

potatotoro

Post by potatotoro » Wed Aug 12, 2015 10:17 pm

cool!i think pope francis is argentine.

Entity

Post by Entity » Thu Aug 13, 2015 1:01 am

Yes, he is! And so is the Queen of Holland, but she's rich and lame, like all royalty.

potatotoro

Post by potatotoro » Thu Aug 13, 2015 3:09 pm

i know i just took up this whole page but it had to be said.

Entity

Post by Entity » Thu Aug 13, 2015 7:04 pm

Beautiful.

Dusky Mystique

Post by Dusky Mystique » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:06 am

@sometimesclever I would disagree about the Nordic languages being unpleasant. I've watched The Seventh Seal in Swedish and Troll Hunter in Norwegian and I think they're lovely. They sound a bit like Old English, which is probably my bias, considering that I adore that extinct language.

Of course, my first language is English, but I'm learning a little French piecemeal. My previous teachers (three in number) have all told me that my pronunciation is exceptional.

I would like to learn Japanese too, because I think that it's a euphonious language as well.

As for written language, I think Russian looks cool, and so does Cornish—it reminds me of an elfish language.

Entity

Post by Entity » Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:47 pm

Cornish looks cool, and I too like Anglo-Saxon just for its ancientness and for the fact that you can see some etymology for modern English.

dreamsandbones

Post by dreamsandbones » Mon Sep 07, 2015 2:53 am

I'm a native English speaker; use French now (I live in Quebec), and once was able to get along in Norwegian (although now I've forgotten most of it). I have a faint memory of having a secret, private language all my own when I was a very small child...it is long gone, though.

potatotoro

Post by potatotoro » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:17 pm

me and my sister made up our own sign language when we were younger xD as far as written language goes i think chinese is the coolest.

Entity

Post by Entity » Mon Sep 07, 2015 3:31 pm

Chinese looks awesome, but it's incredibly inconvenient. With characters instead of a full alphabet, one has to memorize a plethora of symbols. And there are different dialects in various towns and locations that differ so greatly that it would be like a British man talking to a Cajun. But I have to hand it to them, Chinese characters look amazing. I tried making my own language when I was like 9, but it was so stupid that I dropped it and chose to never acknowledge having tried.

dreamsandbones

Post by dreamsandbones » Mon Sep 07, 2015 4:41 pm

potatotoro wrote: as far as written language goes i think chinese is the coolest.
I agree that Chinese characters are awesome. I saw a movie called, "Brush Dance" in an art class, which was about a young woman who did beautiful Chinese calligraphy. I was so fascinated that I bought a proper Chinese brush and ink and practiced a few characters, trying to make them look like hers. I couldn't come close, but it was fun, just the same.